Chapter 10

Claire smoothed out the skirt of her dress. Even though it was only fall, Halloween had passed. Thanksgiving never got the press it deserved. All Christmas decorations were out now.

Suzy's was doing Christmas sets now. Since she had been informed she was singing a half Christmas, half normal set, she had gone with a cherry red dress.

This particular dress went to the floor. She liked this dress a lot; it hugged her waist slightly. The skirt flared out from there, and draped over her legs when she sat down. The bodice of the dress had a sprinkling of sequins. These sequins were also cherry red, and were meant for sparkle only.

The sleeves and neckline were her favorite parts of the dress. A V-neck always fit her best; this dress had such a neckline. It extended into an off-the-shoulder sleeve that extended to her elbows. There was very little cleavage, but it wouldn't be considered cleavage.

"Claire? Are you ready?" Xyzle's voice broke her out of her trance. She looked at her watch; they had forty-five minutes.

"Relax, Xyzle. We've got forty-five minutes, and it only takes twenty to get there from here. I'm almost ready." She sat down at the vanity, and began to braid her hair. If she wore this dress, Tony would insist she wore the headband with the red decorations. It looked fine with a braid.

She put on a silver cuff bracelet. It had little red flecks and a small ruby on the front. A silver necklace with a red pendent in the shape of a heart completed the look.

Then she turned to her shoe collection. Xyzle would freak if he saw how many pairs of shoes she had.

It only took her one second to pick a pair of silver wedge heels. She pulled them off the shelf and put them on the floor. After putting her shoes on, she turned to look at herself in her full length mirror.

She dazzled. The light caught on the sequins and metal and made her simply dazzle.

"I'm ready now. It'll help to get there a few minutes early; Suzy's is always busy." She grabbed a red purse from her collection and put her phone and wallet in it before she walked out of the room.

She entered the living room.

"Wow." Xyzle immediately said something. "Just...wow..." He walked over to her. "Did you chose the silver simply to complement my skin, or is that what you always wear with this dress?"

"Silver is one of my best colors." She smiled a little, and took his hand. "It happens to be the color of your skin is all."

"May we go then? I don't like to be late." He added a little laugh at the end, as if he were nervous. She looked down at her watch.

"Half an hour to seven...yeah, that'd work." She smiled a little. "Shall I drive?" He nodded.

She led him out of the apartment building.

"Haven't seen you that dressed up since last Christmas, Claire. I guess it is that time of year again." A familiar voice picked at her ears.

"Yeah, it is Christmas time. At least, to the department stores and to Suzy's. What's got you around here, James?" She turned around to face the man: James Jackson.

"Came to see how my lady's doing." He tried to come to hug her.

"No. I'm not your anything, James." She took a step back, and right into Xyzle. He steadied her from behind.

"We must leave, or we won't make it on time." With that, Xyzle took her by the arm softly and led her out of the lobby.

She listened. James didn't follow them.