A Cold, Chilly Detention- Chapter 7

Chapter 7

A Cold, Chilly Detention

            Draco made his way down to Hagrid's hut to do detention. He hated having detention with Aris Donavon. Ever since he had saved her from crashing to the ground during Quidditch practice and then they had both gotten clobbered by the bludger, he had been thinking about her. What he really needed to do was distance himself from her and having detention with her wasn't helping. He had things he needed to be working on, things she wouldn't understand and he wouldn't want her to, stuff that he didn't understand or want to do but they had to be done, he had no choice. And besides she's a Gryffindor, and everyone knew Gryffindors and Slytherins don't mix.

            Even so he couldn't shake her from his mind. She was different from the other girls he'd known. She's beautiful, smart, and brave, fun to be around and he knew she was a very caring person, but there was more to it. It was as though they were a lot more alike in the fact that she seemed to be alone and she knew how it felt to be alone in the world, like he felt now. He had discovered a lot of these things about her when they stayed together recovering in the hospital wing. Twice she had come to his bedside in the night because of the bad dreams. He was glad she never questioned him about them because she would be shocked to know what they were all about.

            He had tried to find out more about her, but she wouldn't reveal a thing about her family and she absolutely refused to talk about her parents, other than to tell him they hated her going to Hogwarts. He guessed everyone had their secrets. He also knew she had been watching him, but he was trying his best to ignore her. He would love nothing more than to get to know Aris Donavon better, but he had too much going on and she didn't need to be in the middle of it.

            Aris made her way down to Hagrid's. It was a crisp, cool fall night with out a cloud in the sky. All she'd worn was her skinny jeans, a layered tee, and a pull over sweater with her purple converse sneakers. She wished she'd brought a coat, she didn't know what they were doing but knowing Hagrid it would be outdoors. She made it to the cottage and knocked. “Come in,” she heard Hagrid. Aris walked through the door, “Good evening Professor Hagrid.” “Good evening Aris, and you can call me Hagrid,” he said kindly. She looked around noticing Malfoy wasn't there yet. Then there was a knock on the door and in stepped Malfoy. He looked around the cottage with disdain, a sneer on his face. Aris had to admit he looked good, he always did in his designer black suits and sharp looking shoes, and at least he'd worn a thick Slytherin colored scarf and a nice black wool coat. He hadn't even looked at Aris and instead looked to Hagrid, “Well, let's get this over with,” he said smartly.

            “Right,” Hagrid said, “tonight we have a special job to do. We are going into the Forbidden Forest to look for a baby unicorn. It got lost from its mother and has been gone for a day now and we are going to do our best to find it and return it to its family.”

            “You have got to be joking,” Draco responded angrily.

            “No I am not joking,” Hagrid said roughly, “this will be part of your detention the whole time you are with me. So let's get to it. You do have your wands,” he asked and they pulled them out, “good cause you’re going to need them to light the way.” With that said he led them out and they headed to the edge of the forest lighting their wands. “Let's stay together, got it,” Hagrid said and they followed behind him, Fang came along walking beside Hagrid, then Aris and last was Malfoy.

            The forbidden forest at night was unlike anything Aris had ever seen, and she now knew where its name came from, because it was a truly scary place. It was pitch dark and you could barely see things in front of you. They kept walking deeper into the forest but there were no signs of the baby unicorn. Aris was really beginning to regret not having grabbed a coat, and she had started shivering from the chill in the air that was getting worse as it got later.

            They had walked for well over two hours when suddenly they heard something out in the far distance of the forest, it sounded something like the hoof beats of a bunch of horses. Whatever it was it didn't sound right. “Stop,” Hagrid said to them listening to the noise for a minute then turning to both of them, “I need you both to stay put right here. I have to check on something but I will be right back for both of you,” and with that Hagrid walked off deeper into the forest.

            “You can't leave us here,” Aris spoke up. Hagrid must have heard her because she heard him shout, “I'll be right back, stay put.”

            “This can't be for real,” Malfoy shouted to the spot where Hagrid had disappeared, “he's just going to leave 2 students here alone in this forest. This is not cool.”

            Aris stood there not knowing what to do. They could no longer see Hagrid's light and now that they had quit walking she had no way to warm herself. She started shivering badly from the cold. “Why didn't you bring a damn coat Donavon,” Malfoy said watching her intently.

            “Oh, so now you’re going to notice me and actually speak to me, don't let me fall over in shock,” she said huffily, “I might as well not exist anymore as far as your concerned. And to answer your question, I guess I was stupid and forgot about Hagrid and his creatures and that we might be doing detention outside.”

            “Look,” Malfoy started explaining, “what happened between us during our stay in the hospital wing was a one time thing. I'm a Slytherin, you’re a Gryffindor. That is the way it is and nothing’s going to change that. Things have to be that way,” he turned his face from her not looking her in the eyes.

            “Who says it has to be that way? Who says we can't be friends,” Aris asked angrily, “so what you’re a Slytherin. What, are you too good for a Gryffindor?” she demanded.

            “As a matter of fact I am. Most of you Gryffindors are nothing more than muggle-loving bloodtraitors or mudbloods. Which one are you?”

            She was so hurt and angry, without thinking she brought her hand up and was about to slap the hell out of him but he caught her arm in time, “the truth hurts, doesn't it, Donavon,” he sneered. “That does it,” she roared, snatching her arm free, and she turned and started back the way they'd come, “I'm out of here. Tell Hagrid I'll be at his cottage,” and with that she stormed off.

            “Donavon,” Draco yelled, “you’re going to get lost, you'd better stay put.”

            “Kiss my ass, Malfoy,” she shouted back and kept going.