Loss and Forgiveness- Chapter 21

Chapter 21

            But it wasn't the Quidditch match that Draco had to worry about. They were all in their first class, potions. The class had been working on a potion to cure sleeping sickness. It was a potion that should have been really easy, not dangerous at all. Each student had their own cauldron and station where they were mixing, Draco's was across from Aris who was near the back wall. Things were going fine when suddenly there was an explosion that rocked the entire classroom. The blast had sent Draco flying backwards hard into the wall and then he realized where the explosion had come from. Aris. He staggered up trying to get his balance there were a few injured students that had been nearby but he couldn't see Aris. The entire work table was covering her up, he could only see her feet laying at an odd angle. He stumbled over trying to pull the debris off of her. Professor Slughorn was trying to get to her area and already teachers were pouring into the room, including Madame Pomfrey.

            Draco finally got all the wood and broken vials he could off of her. Aris wasn't moving and there was blood everywhere where she had fallen into a twisted heap against the stone wall. He was about to try and put his hands under her. “Don't touch her,” Madame Pomfrey shouted as Draco was about to move her. Draco didn't even realize he had tears rolling down his face.

            Madame Pomfrey was checking Aris and she looked up at the other Prof.'s in the room, “She has a pulse and her breathing is stable,” and then she closed her eyes mumbling something as she ran her wand up and down above Aris's body. Then suddenly her eyes were looking hard at Draco. “Get me a stretcher,” she shouted and then began taking Aris to the hospital wing.

            “Is she going to be okay?” Draco asked Madame Pomfrey as they were walking down the hall. She had lost a lot of blood, not to mention the terrible cuts and burns he'd seen on her.

            “I don't know Mr. Malfoy,” she said and then she whispered where no one else could hear, “you can't come into the wing right now, but I will let you in later.”

            Draco stood there helpless as Aris was rushed off. He didn't like that he couldn't go in there with her and the tears wouldn't stop.

            Draco didn't go anywhere, but stayed right outside the doors until he heard Aris moaning and then the screams that started. He burst through the doors and went immediately through the curtains to the head of the bed Aris was lying in. Her eyes were closed but her hair and face were covered in sweat, her breathing rapid. Draco took her hand, his other hand smoothing back her sweaty curls that were sticking to her cheeks.

            “Mr. Malfoy, this is not a good time to be in here,” Madame Pomfrey scolded. He looked down the bed and that's when he saw the sheet pulled up above Aris's knees and the huge pool of blood running to just above them. He felt sick with grief as he realized what was happening.

            “She's losing the baby,” Madame Pomfrey said softly, “are you the father?”

            Draco couldn't dent it and didn't want to, “Yes,” he whispered feeling himself get emotional.

            “Well the best thing you can do right now is comfort Aris. She's going to be in pain for a little bit longer.” she said.

            And just then a pain hit Aris and she began to moan, calling his name.

            “Aris,” he whispered, paying attention to only her and not what Madame Pomfrey was doing, “I'm here with you angel. If it hurts squeeze my hand as hard as you like,” and he started bathing her face with a cool wet cloth.