An Unexpected Engagement- Chapter 13

Chapter 13

            Aris received an owl a week before Christmas holidays from her parents. For some reason they wanted her home for Christmas. Aris wasn't stupid, she knew they were up to something. In all the years she had been at Hogwarts they had never asked her home before and she never went. She usually stayed at the school except the few times she went to stay with her Uncle Tiberius. Well, she was not going. She quickly sent an owl to her uncle, hoping he wouldn't be busy and she could stay with him.

            He sent one back the next day saying he was too busy but he promised to visit her at the school. She had told him about her parents wanting her home and asked him if he knew what it might be about. She hoped he had some answers.

            The day before Christmas her uncle came to the school. Aris ran to him and gave him a huge hug and he kissed her cheek. Her uncle was a great big man who favored her mum and herself with the same cinnamon red hair. The only difference was in their eyes, her mum and uncle had soft brown eyes while Aris had gotten her bright green eyes from her father.

            “How have you been pumpkin,” her uncle asked, using the pet name he'd given her as a toddler, “you have really grown since I last saw you.” It was true, she had not seen her uncle in over a year.

            “I'm okay, but I've missed you,” Aris replied getting a little teary eyed.

            “I've missed you too,” he said, sitting down on a sofa in the Gryffindor common room, “I have something for you,” and he handed her a gift wrapped box. Aris took it excitedly and unwrapped it. It was an odd gift, it was a crystal door knob.

            “Thank you,” Aris said with a laugh.

            “I know what you’re thinking, what a strange gift, but I need you to have this. You see this is a very special door knob. If you are ever in great trouble and need help use this. The words for the spell are “Pumpkins are best” and it will take you out of peril and deliver you somewhere safe.”

            “It's a portkey,” Aris said amazed, “but why should I ever need it.”

            “These are terrible times we are in right now pumpkin, you know this. I want to know you'll be safe. You can hardly trust anyone and no one knows what we have coming at us with the dark lord returning and picking up followers every day. If something should happen to me I like to think you'll be safe.”

            Aris didn't like what he was telling her. She knew his job as an auror was dangerous, especially since he worked with Mad-Eye Moody. She was having bad feelings, “Uncle, don't talk like that.”

            “Well, I'm only being truthful with you Aris.”

            Aris changed the subject, “Do you know why my parents would have wanted me home?”

            “Unfortunately I do,” he said seriously, “you know I never have understood your mother. But it seems that Tamara was contacted by an old friend from school about you. One of my good friends at the ministry did some investigating for me and it seems some papers were filed with your name on them and he let me see them. It seems your parents have tried to find a way to make sure their family remains pureblood and they have signed a marriage contract for you. In other words your marriage has already been set for you before the end of your 17th birthday.”