Facing Friends and Fear- Chapter 17

Chapter 17

            Aris was awakened by Draco gently shaking her.

            “It's time to get up angel,” he whispered near her ear, but she didn't want to. “Come on sleepyhead,” and he went under the covers and gently bit her little toe. Aris squealed, waking up as he tickled and tried to bite her toes. She watched as he came out from under the covers.

            “You’re so cruel,” she joked sullenly.

            “No I'm not,” he jumped on top of her, straddling her, “You’re the cruel one.”

            “And how exactly am I cruel,” she laughed, “I haven't done anything.”

            “Exactly. You’re supposed to wake your prince up with a kiss,” he laughed at the look on her face and started tickling her ribs.

            Between laughing she grabbed up his pillow and whacked him with it, “You don't know me very well; I'm not a morning person.”

            “Well we will have to change that,” he said roughly and leaned down and softly kissed her lips.

            She felt good being with Draco but she dreaded facing her friends today in class. That really sobered her mood up.

            “Draco, I don't think I can go to class,” she whispered quietly, “knowing what I do.”

            That changed Draco's mood. He rolled over onto his pillow.

            “I'm sorry Aris,” he sighed, “but I can't change what I've done or become, if it were possible I would. I didn't want this for you, but I tried to warn you against doing it.”

            “I know.” He was right, it was her fault for insisting on the Unbreakable Vow, “It’s just not right,” she said quietly, tears starting to come.

            “Aris, I didn't want you to go through this pain,” he said rolling to face her and pulling her into his arms, “but I'm going to be honest, I was tired of feeling lonely, and I'm glad I have you even for this little bit of time.

            The tears really started then, but what did he mean by this little bit of time? “Why did you say that?” she asked him. Did he think he wasn't going to survive through this thing the dark lord had him doing?

            Draco gave a heavy sigh, “It's nothing. Come on we've got to get you back to your room.”

            They both got dressed and headed down the stairs in silence. Neither of them noticed the person sitting in a chair by the fire in the Slytherin common with their backs to them.-------

            Aris had decided to skip her first two classes she had with her friend Lanie, but in her third class she couldn't help notice all the eyes on her and the difference in everyone around her. They were all whispering quietly in groups and blatantly staring at her. What was going on? A million thoughts had to have gone through her head. When she was leaving class her arm was grabbed hard. It was Lanie.

            “We need to talk,” she said angrily, pulling Aris into an empty girls bathroom.

            “So that's why your avoiding me, you've been spending the night with Draco Malfoy in the Slytherin common room,” Lanie accused, “have you gone completely nuts,” she asked hurt.