A BIG Surprise- Chapter 24

A BIG Surprise

Chapter 24

            Draco watched from an alleyway outside Saint Mungoes hospital waiting. He knew Aris should be coming out at any time, he just didn’t know what kind of reception he would get. It was now the first of April, and it had been almost a year since they had last been together. Was she going to hate him? So much had happened since then, with the dark lord trying to get Harry, and Harry being on the run. The dark lord was making Draco and others stay at Hogwarts to keep an eye on things and watch for Harry returning to the school. He had not been able to get a message to her for fear Voldemort or her parents would find out where she was, and he was taking a risk now but he had to see her.

            He’d found out through her friend Lanie that she was working on becoming a healer at St. Mungos hospital for wizards. But that was the only info she would give him. Finally the side door opened and there she was. Aris looked so beautiful, with her hair pulled back from her face, but she looked tired. She started walking down the alley and onto the street which was mostly deserted and Draco followed her. She must have heard him because she turned toward him, “Whose there?!” she said taking out her wand. It was dark and she couldn’t see him well.

            Draco moved forward stepping into the light of one of the street lamps. He quickly rushed forward to catch her because he could see her starting to fall. He had his arms around her, holding her, “Draco,” she whispered in disbelief, grabbing him tightly.

            “It’s me, angel,” he sighed. It felt so good holding her, it had been so long. 

            “Where have you been,” she said hurt, “I know you’ve been attending Hogwarts, but why haven’t you come to me or contacted me?”

            “I couldn’t take the chance that the dark lord or your parents might find you,” he said, tears in his own eyes, “you don’t know how bad I’ve wanted you. I shouldn’t be here now but I couldn’t stand it anymore. Please don’t hate me?”

            Aris looked at him really good in the light. He looked awful and then she noticed the scar on his face. It wasn’t bad but she noticed, “What happened?” she brought her hand up touching it lightly.

            “It’s a long story that I’d rather not tell right now. Where were you headed?”

            Aris told him she needed to go to one of the few markets that were still open. He waited on her outside and when she came back he took her bag for her, “Can you come home with me?” she asked, “there’s something I need to show you.” the word home almost made him cry because when he was with her, no matter where, he was home.

            “Yeah, for a little bit,” he replied, and she took his hand and took them both quickly until they were standing in the cottage. Draco thought he missed this place more than anything.

            “I’m back Sophie,” Aris said loudly.

            And down the hall came a round old woman with a sweet grandmother face.

            “Thank you so much Sophie, I’ll see you again in the morning.”

            “You’re welcome Aris. You know he’s a little angel, no trouble at all,” the elderly woman watched Draco closely, “goodnight.”

            “Goodnight Sophie,” Aris told her as she vanished.

            “What is she doing here and what was she talking about?” Draco asked puzzled.

            “Come with me,” she said smiling and led him down the hallway to the master bedroom and over to the crib in a corner near the bed, “Draco meet your son, Tiberius Seth Malfoy. We call him Ty.”

            Draco looked into the crib and this time he couldn’t stop the tears, there lay the sweetest little baby he’d ever seen. He looked like a little cherub, with rosy cheeks and soft platinum blond curls. He was lying on his side with his little fist in his mouth sucking on it. He was trying to sleep.

            “He’s mine,” Draco said in awe, and he cried because he couldn’t help but think about the brother or sister Ty lost when Aris had her accident in potions the year before.

            “No silly, he just showed up here. Of course he’s yours.”

            Draco lightly touched his soft curly hair and then Ty’s cheek. Ty opened his eyes and they were the same silver-blue of his own. Ty looked up at him a smile on his baby face.

            “He’s beautiful Aris,” he said taking her in his arms and hugging her tight, “thank you for my son. I’m sorry I missed this, I wish I would have known you were pregnant.”

            She took his hands, “I know, but I didn’t want to take any chances that someone would find out about him, especially my parents.”

            Ty had started cooing and moving his little arms.

            “How is my little cutie?” Aris said picking him up, “do you want to meet your daddy?” and Ty smiled at her, he was a happy baby. Aris handed him to Draco.

            “I don’t know if …..,” but Draco didn’t finish because he was holding Ty in his arms, cradling him. He leaned down and placed a soft kiss on his cheek.   ………

            “I can’t stay Aris,” Draco said sadly, later that night when they were lying in the huge bed together, Ty asleep in his crib, “I’ve got to go back. Things are getting to a breaking point. Our only hope now is if Potter succeeds in defeating the dark lord. It makes it really hard on me because I’m supposed to be working for him, but I only hope Harry wins.”

            “We will just have to hope he does,” she replied.