The Lovely Bite: 7. Badass Adventurer

When I open my eyes from the long sleep, I come to face Piper who is slouching over a book that is on her lap. Her red hair is in a messy bun with long strands over her ears. Her brown eyes are big and bold through the thick prescription lens she has for glasses.

I grunt while stretching, looking up at the clock that is hung up on the wall across from me. I squint from far but I still can't see it.

"It's eleven-fifteen, if you are curious." Piper sighs, narrowing her eyes towards me with a long smile over her freckled face. "Good morning." I grunt again because I hate talking with morning breath. Seriously.

"Morning." I sit up, pushing the blankets off of me swinging my legs to the edge. I get up, stretching my back and after hearing it crack in different places I drag my feet to the bathroom. After washing up and doing my business, I come back out kneeling down to my luggage that is on the ground.

"Is there breakfast? I am starving." I say to Piper who pauses from reading and takes her glasses off, rubbing her eyes.

"Probably, I was awaken at eight o'clock from Fiona's voice through the speaker saying that there is breakfast. I just wanted to wait for you." I take out a pair of athletic shorts and a tank top.

"Well, thank you for that." I reply back with a smile.

"Sure thing." She replies back.

After getting ready, we both walk down to the lobby and ask the front desk where the dining room is. Eventually we find it and my nose reaches the smell of mouthwatering bacon. It wasn't crowded besides a table full with girls talking and eating.

The others must have went to eat earlier but the rest wanted to sleep in. We go to an empty table to sit alone because we didn't feel in the mood to be friendly and a young women came up to us. She asked what we wanted for breakfast and Piper ordered scrambled eggs with bacon while I ordered French toast with bacon and French fries.

I know, I eat a lot.

The women walks away, leaving us two alone. I look around awkwardly, pulling down dad's hat on my head lower. Piper was ignoring the voices around us and started to pick on her nails, the polish flakes falling on the table.

"What do you want to do after eating?" I ask her, her eyes staring up to mine. She brings her hands together and shifts uncomfortably in her seat.

"I don't know actually, I feel like if I do something I'll get in trouble."

"So I'm guessing you are Mrs. Goody-Two-Shoes?" I joke with her and her back straightens up like she is hiding something.

"No! I just-just don't want to get in trouble in this vampire world."

"Makes sense." I say back and quickly, the women comes back with our food. That was quick. Piper looks at me with a smile while I shrug. After she walks away, I start to butter up my French toast while sighing. "I just want to look around. When do our classes start?" I ask her.

"Well today is Saturday and I think no school on Sunday is reasonable so I guess Monday."

"Great, roaming around for two days... I like it."

"Of course I become dorm partners with you." She snaps back at me and I dart my eyes to her, getting a bit pissed.

"What does that mean?" I reply back to Piper and she takes a bite into her eggs, trying to hold in a laugh.

"I don't mean it like that. I mean of course I'm stuck with a badass sneaky girl who is adventurous." I smile because that is a huge compliment someone gave me for the first time. I bite into my bacon, chuckling at her comment later on.

When we fully ate our breakfast, we were the only girls left in the dining room. I told Piper we should go see how the school looks. She agrees so we both get up and walk out of the building. I glare up at the sky, glancing at the blueness but the sun looked like it was hiding behind a thick fog where it doesn't heat our skin till we sweat. This world is so much different than the human one.

We walk on the sidewalk, reaching the mansion and walking in. People were in the lobby, talking and laughing. Some turned their attention to us but others just ignored the fact that we were there.

"Good evening, Adeline and Piper. What have brought you two here?" Fiona jumps in front of us and I take a step back. Piper softly elbows me because she didn't know what to say.

"Ugh, we just wanted to look around the school."

"Well, there's not a lot to show. But if you do want to waste time, I will get someone to show you around." I shake my head, giving her a soft assuring smile.

"No, it's okay. We don't need-"

"Phillip!" She shouts through the crowd of people talking. I shut my mouth quickly after she cuts me off and Piper widens her eyes. A young boy comes through the people, tall and angular, a smile on his face.

"What can I do for you, Fiona?" He asks, turning to face her.

"I want you to show around these young ladies and don't do anything stupid please."

"Oh no I won't." He replies back, narrowing his eyes to us which becomes a dark red... like Mr. Hansel's. Piper swallows loudly, the gulp loud enough for them to hear. His eye go back to the normal brown while turning his back to us.

"Have fun guys." Fiona shoves Piper and I a little so we can follow Phillip. Eventually my feet start to move, following him down a hall. Piper is next to me, her eyes burning the back of his head while he is humming to himself. To break the silence I let out a loud sigh, clapping my hands together.

"So, Phillip, are you a teacher here?"

"Hah! I wish!" He shouts through the quiet hall. He opens a door which led to a long stair case. He holds it open for us, smirking down at us. "I'm a messenger." We both walk in, going up the stairs meanwhile Phillip follows behind us.

"A messenger for what?" Piper and I say at the same time and we glance at each other with a surprised look.

"For blood drop-offs. You'll understand soon enough." Phillip replies back during my groan of frustration.

"I swear, humans better not be involved with this 'blood drop-offs.'" I say to him and the only response I get is him chuckling behind Piper and I.

Aye, I like this story.

vote

comment

follow me