Chapter Two

Kings and Queens - Itchy Poopzkid

Fun - Troye Sivan

Huarache Lights - Hot Chip

Isaac looked on in amazement as pure sunlight rushed through at him, the boy not even bothering to squint as he stared at the Earth around him. Everything was green, he saw. Green moss crept up the sides of sky-high trees like ribbons, bushes crawled in unkempt patterns across the ground. Birds sang their songs, the chirpy notes something unfamiliar to Isaac, but it was welcome all the same. The sky was a blue he had never seen before. Back on the Ark, he'd either seen the ominous black space that seemed to stretch on forever. Back on the Ark he had been sure that if anyone went outside, they would be swallowed up by the darkness, pulled away from life as if they were caught in a sandpit, never to return. But here, on Earth, the sky was a warm blue, like the color of paint children would use when drawing water. It wasn't a dark void, waiting to take people away, but a ceiling that protected the Earth below it like a force to be reckoned with; high and mighty, big and powerful, and more beautiful than anything Isaac had ever seen. Clouds raced along the tree tops like children, billowing out in different directions almost as if someone had haphazardly dropped them and they had simply scattered across the giant ceiling of a sky, left there to drip down towards the Earth in huge puffs of white.

The air here smelled different than the air on the ark. Back in space, the air was static-y, never clean, always faintly smelling of metal or oil or something of that sort. But here, as Isaac sucked in a deep, liberating breath, he noticed that the air smelled clean. Not the type of clean where your mother had just scrubbed everything down with lemon-furniture polish, but the type of clean that was pure and beautiful. The type of clean that you would associate with Heaven, or something so perfect you could only imagine it in your wildest dreams.

But it wasn't a dream. It was all real, and that was the reason for the shit-eating grins painted across one hundred faces. 

Everyone watched, hardly able to contain their own excitement as Octavia Blake slowly made her way down the ramp, inching her way along until she was standing on the edge, just a touch away from being the first person to touch the ground. Glancing back at Bellamy, she noticed the proud grin on his face and suddenly she took a leap of faith, literally, jumping forwards and letting her feet plant firmly on the soft grass. The brunette, threw her head back, breathing in the pure air just as Isaac had, the smile on her face visible from her position. When her head lolled back to the front, she wasted no time in reaching her hands up to the sky, almost as if she were trying to grab the clouds and bring them back to her. 

"WE'RE BACK BITCHES!" she yelled, dragging out the last word as long as possible. As soon as her shouts died out, the one hundred prisoners tumbled out of the drop ship like a stampede, crushing Isaac as the man-handled him out of the way, but he didn't care. He was on Earth. He wasn't on the Ark.

He was home

Isaac was one of the last people to step out of the drop ship, landing on the forest floor with a satisfying thump as his feet connected with the grass beneath his feet. Grass. He never thought he'd see any in real life, much less have enough to stand on. Now, he had a lifetime supply of it. Of everything, really. 

A gleeful laugh burbled out of his mouth before he could stop himself, and soon enough he was laughing at nothing at all. The pure happiness was too much, and he couldn't control himself. It was like a dream. 

Isaac noticed Clarke walking off by herself, and suddenly a bit of his happiness slipped away as he remembered his solemn promise to the councilwoman, about protecting her daughter. The smile shrunk away for the slightest moment, before he noticed Finn trailing after her, bouncing about in delight, a grin planted on his face, seeming like it wouldn't be coming off any time soon. Shrugging Clarke off, Isaac figured that Finn was an okay enough guy to be able to leave Clarke alone with.