Chapter Three

We Come Running - Youngblood Hawke

Run Boy Run - Woodkid

I Went Too Far - AURORA

"I got to know what you two did to get busted," Finn smirked, glancing at Jasper and Monty who were both walking in a carefree manner just behind the boy. 

"Sumac isn't the only herb in the garden, if you know what I mean," Monty said suggestively, Isaac rolling his eyes at him.

Jasper sighed in slight annoyance, it seemed like. "Someone forgot to replace what we took," he put in.

"Someone apologized, like, a thousand times," Monty shot back, clearly offended and slightly hurt that his friend still seemed irked about a mistake from so long ago. 

Jasper nodded distractedly as he turned towards the brown haired girl. "What about you Octavia? What'd they get you for?"

The girl left the two with a stony silence for a moment before growling, "Being born," and then running up ahead to walk with Clarke. 

"That is so not game," Monty commented smugly and Jasper responded with a light hit to the chest. Monty hit back childishly before turning to Isaac. "So why were you in lock-up?" he asked, trying to change the mood.

Isaac tensed, bowing his head. Clearing his throat awkwardly, his shoved his hands deeper into his pockets. "When it comes to orphans the council does not know what to do," he told them quietly, and Finn pursed his lips in concern. 

"You're an orphan?" he asked, shocked. 

Isaac turned and narrowed his eyes at the long haired boy. "No, I just thought I'd share a fun fact," he snapped, and all three boys backed off, clearly recognizing a boundary. Isaac sped up his pace just a bit, stalking ahead of the three boys currently prying into his life. He rolled his eyes at the sounds of Monty and Jasper hitting each other childishly. Isaac sighed, pinching the bridge of his nose between his thumb and forefinger. He couldn't lose his temper; he calculated everything he said and everything he did for a reason. He wanted to avoid fights, keep conflict to a minimum. Because when he let himself speak his mind, bad things normally followed. 

He sealed his lips shut again, pressing them together in a thin line, promising himself to not do anything irrational or stupid. Which is exactly why he crouched down quickly when he noticed everyone else doing it, going down to balance on the balls of his feet as he hunched over, mildly confused. Biting his lip, he glanced towards Octavia. "Why are why crouching?" he whispered, his voice barely audible even during the silence.

Octavia didn't answer out loud, instead using her dainty hand to point towards a deer, maybe twenty yards away, munching on some grass. Isaac glanced at it and a shy smile made it's way onto his face, and suddenly he was grinning. "No animals, huh?" Finn murmured to Clarke at the front of the group, a smug smile plastered on his face. Finn bravely shuffle forwards, placing his feet on the ground with care; but not enough care. He had only moved about a foot or two forwards when a twig was caught underneath his shoe and snapped, causing the deer to look towards the group of six.

Its face was horribly disfigured, and Isaac guessed he could apply the word mutated considering the situation. There was an entire second head morphing into the first, the former small and red and bloody, muscle showing and the two inside eyes melding together grotesquely. The jaw on the second head hung slack and useless, the teeth yellowed and the tongue lolling out like a piece of ribbon glue to the roof of it's mouth. 

Isaac held back a gag as he and the other five prisoners jumped back, shocked. Finn let out an "Uh!" and the deer only paused for a moment before scampering away into the forest, leaving the six teenagers to think.