One

"I'm reaching out and I just can't tell you why."

  ϟϟϟ 

Selene proudly strode through the hallways, between her two best friends in the entire world. To her right was James Potter, a cocky boy with messy dark hair. A pair of glasses sat on the bridge of his nose and his hazel eyes were sparkling with passion as he told his friends about his latest prank plan. On her left was Sirius Black, the school's undeclared heartthrob, baring the same coloured hair as James but his was neat and slicked back. He wore his trademark smirk that told the world that he didn't care.

Those two boys were her best friends. James since she was seven and still believed that boys had cooties, Sirius since she ran into him, quite literally, in the train.

Yes, Selene had other friends. Remus and Peter, the other members of James' gang that they all call the 'Marauders', Lily, a smart yet feisty girl who James chased down all the previous year asking her out constantly, and Alice and Mary, her roommates along with Lily.

But there was nowhere in the entire world that she would rather be than right there with Sirius and James. James, Sirius, Remus, and Peter might make up the school's prank group, but her, Sirius, and James were the greatest hit when they were in the same classes together.

"Hey," Sirius interrupted James' plotting, causing the spectacled boy to give him a death glare and an exasperated sigh. "Do you ever wonder what you'll do after Hogwarts?"

"I'll be married to Lily Evans, of course," James was the first to respond.

Selene let out a hearty laugh, nudging James with her elbow. "Yeah, right, and I'll be married to Ryan Knight and carrying his child. Be serious, James." Selene added the last sentence slyly, her emerald eyes winking at Sirius jokingly.

"Hey!" Sirius said for the second time in the last minute.

Selene smiled at him innocently, shrugging her shoulders like she wasn't sure what she did to make him mock upset. "To answer your very serious and deep question, Sirius, I do. I'm trying to decide if I want to be a doctor or not. The whole biology idea interests me greatly."

"And you'll get to hook up with your cute patients and finally get some action," Sirius added for her, only half joking.

The Marauders often teased her about repelling away the boys she liked or accidentally friendzoning them. She was never quite sure who they used as an example for that. It's not like she has had that many crushes over the years, despite being often stereotyped as a 'flirt'. The boys were strange.

James snorted before responding, this time honestly, "Besides being married to Lily, I haven't thought that far ahead."

"What about you, Sirius?" Selene asked.

Sirius was quiet for a long moment, his mind finding the right words to say. "I think I want to be an auror. I want to fight against the bastard dark wizards out there, even if it means fighting against my relatives. I want to stand for something good instead of something snobby like my parents wanted me to be. I don't want to be a Minister and help them corrupted the wizarding world, I want to fight against that..."

The group was silent, thinking over the words that were spoken. They entered their class together in that silence, no one daring to speak and break that deep silence that was so precious.

Well, that is, until Mary sat down in front of them and commented, "Wow, don't all rush to speak all at once."

Selene rolled her eyes at her friend, but started a conversation nonetheless.