Twenty-Nine

"Say that the wind won't change us."

ϟϟϟ

Selene awoke feeling better than she had in, well, forever. James was a warm comfort to have throughout the night. Every time she woke, she saw him sleeping. He looked so peaceful, so content, that she could not help but doze right off again.

James' eyes slowly opened beside her. He gave her a small smile before pulling her in tighter. "Good morning," he said with his nose now buried in her hair.

"'Morning," Selene responded slowly, her lips holding each syllable for longer than she should. As good as it felt, it felt... strange. She was used to him pulling away from her in the morning. For her to be nuzzled up against the dip of his neck was the exact opposite of the norm. The change was welcome, but foreign.

"How are you feeling?" James asked. "More specifically, are we ok?"

Selene pondered that question for a moment. Were they ok? Can anybody who went through what they did rebuild their relationship to be stronger than it was before? She was stubborn and he was more so, if anyone could, they could.

"Yes," Selene answered honestly. If it was not already true, it would be with time. They just needed time.

James pulled away from the hug to look at her. His hazel eyes pierced into her soul as he searched for the truth. Selene didn't hide any emotion she felt. She had faith that they would make it through. They were best friends long before any romantic interests got involved. If she could survive James going through puberty and tormenting one of her closest friends' with affection constantly she was certain she could survive this.

James nodded, seeming satisfied with whatever investigation he was doing with her eyes. "You know, it is a Saturday. What do you say we head to Hogsmeade?"

Selene raised an eyebrow, "Is this a date?"

"Only if you want it to be."

"You'll let me decide?"

"Anything for you." The words rolled so easily off of James' tongue. The words held newfound meaning. Words that used to be exchanged as a wholesome phrase amongst friends filled Selene's heart with appreciation.

She would go and she would try. For him, for her, for them.

ϟϟϟ

The air was warm and Selene hugged her coat under her arm as they walked towards Tomes and Scrolls. A travel mug was in her other hand, steaming with a warm cup of coffee picked up from Madam Puddifoot's Tea Shop. James went into the common date spot alone to get beverages for them so she wouldn't feel pressured to call it a date.

James trodged on ahead, swinging open the bookshop's front door and holding it open for her. The bell rung out a notification as it swung open.

"Thank you," Selene said with a smile.

She stepped inside and was greeted with the smell of freshly printed paper. A few typewriters sat on a table near the entrance to encourage writers to write and publish their works at Tomes and Scrolls. Cabinets with glass entrapments lined the walls, storing rolls of scrolls. The front counter had a small gentleman with half-moon shaped spectacles ringing up books for a few younger Slytherin students.

Selene walked further in. She had not seen the place since the remodel happened last year. Whenever she had been to Hogsmeade since it had been to grab a pint or to buy the incoming year's textbooks.

"Shall we?" James was behind her, close enough that she could feel his breath on the crook of her neck. His free hand pointed towards the back of the store where a table was cleared of items save for a box of empty scrolls, a wooden pencil holder with a few quills, and a metal tin for ink.