Two

"And I wonder [...] if everything could ever feel this real forever?"

ϟϟϟ

Selene watched from where she sat on one of the loveseats in the Gryffindor common room with mild amusement as James attempted to gain Lily's attention without fully declaring that he was trying to be the center of her attention for a moment.

There has been a peculiar tension between the two ever since last year, ever since James bullied Severus in front of Lily. It was not a rare occurrence, James often tormented the Slytherin for being rude to muggleborns (not that Lily was aware of that) and sometimes to get Lily's attention (Lily was aware of that one). Sometime late the previous school year, James was bullying Snape, causing Lily to call him out on being an "arrogant bullying toerag". Severus snapped at Lily for standing up for him (claiming that he didn't need help from a "filthy mudblood") and Lily blames James for the end of her friendship with Severus.

Personally, Selene thought it was a whole load of drama and didn't want any part in it. Seeing James so hurt from being called out by his "one true love", Lily being so heartbroken from losing her best friend fully to the Death Eaters, and Severus, although they weren't by any means close, being so frustrated with himself for losing his best friend broke Selene's heart.

Despite the drama of last year's events, James still loved Lily with all of his heart. And so Selene watched, her lips forming a faint smile, as James studied his Muggle Studies textbook. He would occasionally declare a random fact about Muggles to try and impress Lily.

"Selene," James poked her with his free hand, snapping her out of her amused stare.

"Hm?"

"What was the last fact I said?" James asked, not looking up from the textbook.

"I don't know, something that you'd hope would impress Lily?" Selene let out a light laugh.

James sighed, before repeating the fact in a loud voice. "Crowds of Muggles gather in big halls to see musicians, such as John Lennon, perform worldwide." He looked up from his textbook and in Lily's general direction, "This is known as concerts."

"Don't the Hobgoblins have concerts? What is different from Muggle concerts and wizard concerts?" Selene asked with slight interest.

"Wizards have magic, Muggles don't." James answered matter-of-factly.

Selene watched with no surprise as Lily packed her homework up and went up the stairs to the girls dorms. Perhaps Lily was not finding James' newfound fascination about the Muggle studies textbook as amusing as Selene was.

"Did you know that Muggles have created a thing called 'movies'? It's like our pictures except lots of them blended together with sound," James remarked. He lifted up and angled his textbook a little bit so Selene could catch a glimpse of the example. "Look, it's even in colour!"

"James, you can stop studying now. Lily is gone," Selene whispered to him.

James' head snapped up and he stared wide-eyed at where the ginger once was. He slumped against the side of the couch until only his head was rightside up. "Where did my dear Lily flower go?"

"Away from your phony fascination in Muggle studies," Selene teased.

James looked up at her and pouted before crawling to sit beside her on the loveseat. He curled up as close to her as possible and faked tears. "Why doesn't she love me the way I love her?"

Selene wrapped her left arm around his shoulders and leaned her head on his shoulder. "Because she's already in love."

"With who?" James sniffled.