Chapter 26

Dedication to FryThatChicken for voting for ALL of chapters in this book :D

Chapter 26

"Emily, can you open the door?" Claire asked, as she continued her knocking.

"Emily?" She asked.

"Emily please, I can explain." Claire said again.

"Then explain from outside of that door." I said, slightly irritated.

"But I need to make sure you're okay." She pleaded.

"Need to make sure I'm okay? Really that's all you've got?"

"Fine, I'll explain right here.."

Claire then told me about how her older sister had been coming into town that week and she came early. Her sister told her how she heard someone scream and accidentally hit another car. The lady lay not moving in the front seat and so her sister panicked and drove home. Then Claire brought her inside and when Kate came over, during their conversation she supposedly blurted out, "You liar! Emily's Girl Behind the Mic not you!"

Then Kate said,"Knew it." Before walking away with a grin upon her face.

I stood up and opened the door,"You know someone once told me secrets should be secret." I stated.

"Emily I-" Claire said.

"Can you just not bug me anymore? I have no more secrets for you to spill!" I said as I put my hands in a surrendering pose before flopping onto my bed.

"It was an accident I'm so so so sorry." She said sitting next to me.

I sighed. I guess I have to forgive her.

"Apology accepted." I sighed sitting up.

"Really?" She asked.

"Yeah, sure." I said shrugging.

"Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!" She repeated as she hugged me in the tightest hug ever.

"Can't breathe." I managed to say.

"Sorry." She said as she released me.

"It's fine." I replied.

"So now you have to tell me everything about you know who!" She said with her voice filled with excited.

"Who is you know who?" I asked.

"Who?" She asked.

"Okay, now we sound like owls." I said.

"Well who were you talking about?" Claire asked.

"Tyler?" I said with uncertainty in my voice

"What's with the tone?" She questioned.

"Ugh, I don't even know anymore."

"Okay.. Then what's with you and Jonathan? And the whole prom scene?"

"Well- He- It's complicated."

"Complicated?" She said with confusion.

"Yeah. You could say that."

"Ooo! Details!" She said sitting closer to me.

"Well it all started when..." I explained the whole hiding the Girl Behind the Mic act from basically everyone. I then talked about how Tyler saved me. And then more about Jonathan..

"How come you get all the excitement?" She pouted.

"Not the point. But-"

"It's obvious, like I said before. You like Tyler."

"I know but-"

"So you admit it!!" She yelled.

"Yes but-"

"Yay!!"

"Claire what-"

"Why are you still with me? Shoo! Go hang out with Tyler!" She said nearly pushing me out of my own bedroom.

"Claire what about Jonathan?"

"Hmmm. Well just tell him you want to be friends." She said.

"I know but he-"

"That's what you should do! Go call Jonathan, meet him at the coffee shop and say you just want to be friends. End of story, now go!"

"Do you have to cut me off every time I tal-"

"Yep. Now go!" She said before shoving me out the door.

As I walked down the stairs and put my shoes on I grabbed the door handle and realized I might want to grab my phone. I quickly ran up the stairs and opened the door to my room. Claire was sitting there and looked confused.

"Need my phone." I said grabbing it off my desk, before I left the room I paused and looked back at her, "Are you going to stay here while I'm gone?"

"Nah, I'm just going to stay here for a half and hour and then hang out with Matthew."

"Ooo! Are you guys dating?" I questioned.

"No-Yes-Maybe, it's complicated."

I rolled my eyes, "Whatever, see you later!" I yelled before walking downstairs while texting Jonathan to meet me at the coffee shop near school. As I passed by my Mom in the kitchen she asked where I was going. I replied saying I was meeting a friend and that Claire was going to stay here for a bit. She said okay and tossed me the car keys.

"Thanks Mom!" I yelled back as I walked to the car.

As I got out of the car I walked into the shop. I was greeted by the warmth and smell of coffee. Inhaling the scent I walked over to the cashier and ordered my drink.

"Emily." The barista said and I walked over grabbing the drink and sitting on one of the couches.

After about five minutes or so Jonathan walked through the doors. He looked around and met my eyes, he smiled and walked over.

"So, um, what did you want to talk about?" He said before sitting down across from me.

"Well I don't know how to say this but ithinkyou'rereallycoolbutIjustwanttobefriends." I said in the fastest way possible.

"I'm sorry, what?"

"I said, ithinkyou'rereallycoolbutIjustwanttobefriends."

"Can you say that a bit slower?" He said.

"I think you're really cool but," I sighed "I just want to be friends, sorry." I said at a normal pace.

"Oh," He said as he looked at the floor.

"Oh?"

"I mean, I guess that's cool with me."

"Really?" That was easier than I thought..

"Yeah, I mean if you don't like me that way it's fine."

"Oh, thank God." I said with a sense of relief.

"Am I that much of a burden?"

"No-You're not a burden, I just-"

"It's okay, I was kidding."

"Oh, okay. Well I have to go now, but see you at school." I said putting my phone in my pocket and standing up.

"See ya." He said.

As I was about to stand up and walk away his hand touched mine.

"Emily if you ever need anything, anything at all. Please let me know." Jonathan said.

"Thanks." I said and smiled, before walking to the door. I stopped and looked back at him, he smiled and I mirrored his actions.

Things were falling into place, and the only piece of the puzzle to put in was Tyler.