Chapter 3

Fuck. Late as usual.

I should have left the hospital earlier last night. I shouldn't have stayed so long. But I couldn't leave Jackie. I wanted her to open her eyes again. I wanted to see those gorgeous green eyes and make sure that she remembered my face.

"Come on, Nicky, we're late already," my cousin Dominic said, jumping up and down as he waited for me to finish my coffee and throw the cup away in a nearby trashcan. Dominic was eager for everything. He hated to be late, even if it was by a few seconds, because he was afraid he'd miss something.

It wasn't like Dad didn't run the town anyway. The only reason Dad even cared if I was late or not was because he was up my ass about taking over the family business, and not just in the real estate and development market.

"Yeah, yeah, I'm coming." I shook my head, trying to clear my thoughts of Jackie.

We walked through the double doors into the high rise of Ragusa Industries. We had already dodged the morning traffic of commuters and businessmen in suits, so the lobby was empty. That was fine by me, since Dominic didn't exactly have the best mouth on him for the business world. The only reason he got hired was because my dad was his godfather.

"Hey, Dom, can you get my bike guy's number when you get a chance?" I asked as we hopped into the elevator.

"Don't you have a secretary?" He raised his eyebrows, running his hand through his shaggy hair. After he basically failed out of college last year, my dad hired him at the company and Dom started training with me a few months ago. I told him he needed to cut the mop, but the kid had to keep something that made him happy. He said the girls loved it so he kept it.

When I just looked at him he said, "Fine. I'll have Benji give you a call." He bounced on his heels. "Now is this a new bike for you, or for the battona you were out with last night?"

Why the hell did I tell him I was out with a girl last night? It must have been the lack of sleep that was getting to me.

"Call her that one more time, bastardo, and Imma gonna make sure your head sees the other side of my glock, capeesh?" I said it low, even though there was no one else in the elevator, I never knew who was around. What the hell was wrong with me? I never got angry like that in public. This girl fucked with my mind. I had to get my head back in the game.

Dom lifted his arms up. "Okay, man, I understand. I'll get his number and text it to you."

"Good."

"What the fuck is up with you and this chick?"

I shook my head. "Nothing, man. I just want to make things right. I hit her with my car. Do you really want her coming after the family and putting us in a big legal mess?"

Dom raised his eyebrows. Of course he saw right through me. I shouldn't have tried to fake it with the guy that knew me better than anyone. "Yeah and you don't think someone like her would have just taken cash under the table like how we usually handle things?"

"Just let it go." The elevator dinged on our floor and I stepped out, not even looking back at him.

Our office was everything one would expect in the penthouse office space: vaulted ceilings, marble floors, and mahogany desks. For most people in their early twenties with a degree from DePaul it would be a fucking wet dream; to me it was my biggest fucking nightmare.

"Mr. Ragusa," my secretary, Kate, said as she stood. My dad hired her for her sexy, breathy voice. That and the fact that he was fucking her behind my mother's back. The thought of it made me sick to my stomach. She brushed her long brown hair behind her shoulder and then pushed up her tits, practically popping them out of her button-down shirt.