Chapter 17

After signing all the documents for the tow truck driver and paying him a huge tip to make sure it got to the shop safely, we took off in Dominic's car.

After following Haley to work we got back on the Dan Ryan, heading toward the city. I sat in the backseat with Jackie and every five seconds I'd see Dominic's eyes flicker toward us in the mirror.

"Is there something you want to ask me, cuz?" I tightened my grip on Jackie's shoulder. She leaned against me with her head on my chest.

"No. Nothing. Nothing at all." He shook his head and kept his eyes on the road.

I let go of Jackie and leaned forward. "Bullshit, Dom. You wouldn't keep looking in the backseat if you didn't want to talk to me."

His hands gripped the steering wheel so tight his knuckles were completely white. "I just can't believe this shit. It feels like they're getting away with it. They're running around like they fucking own us. And what the fuck are we doing? We're running away, just driving back to your condo. We should be going after them right now!"

I put my hand on his shoulder. "Dom, we're not animals. This isn't like the Wild West and we can't just go running after someone and shoot them because they shot us." I shook my head, sliding back in my seat. "We strategize. We plan. We're going to show them who really runs this town."

Jackie shook her head. "Whoa, you guys are fucking nuts, do you know that?"

I squeezed her side. "Nah, not me. Just Dom. I'm not planning on doing any of that. Like I said, I'm not an animal. Neither is Dom, he's just excited."

The smile returned to Dominic's face. He bounced in his seat, looking in the rearview mirror. He really was just a kid at heart.

Jackie's eyebrows knitted together. "Is this really what you do? Retaliate against people with more violence?"

I tightened my jaw. The way she looked at me, like I was a monster, it was everything I didn't want to be. But I wasn't a fucking monster or an animal. This was what had to be done. This was the circle of life. They went after me and my family. They fucking went after Jackie. They had to pay. "I'm not doing anything right now, baby. I'm just concerned with getting us home safely."

"Promise me that you're going to be careful. What happened tonight scared the shit out of me. I thought you were dead." Jackie put her hand on my cheek. "And with everything that happened with Phil." The only light in the car came from the reflection of the highway lights, but I swore I saw a glimmer of tears in her eyes. "I saw how much it hurt you. I don't want to see you in pain anymore. Promise me you'll be careful. Please promise me."

"I promise." I took her hand off my cheek and kissed her knuckles.

"Hey, I hate to interrupt your tender moment back there, but uh, since you seem to be getting along so great, do you think you can put in a good word for me with Haley?" Dominic smiled in the rearview mirror. "I think she likes us blue-eyed Italians."

***

Dominic dropped us off at the condo and even the thought of getting Jackie naked held no appeal for me now. All I wanted was revenge. I needed to talk to my dad and move with the next step of our plan. I would make sure those gangbangers never went after us again.

Thankfully my decorator had come by. All the broken items had already been replaced with new ones and it looked like nothing ever happened.

"Is it okay if I take a shower?" Jackie asked.