Codename: Kids Next Door

The delightful children from Down the Lane gave Numbuh 1 cancer, after he survived the disease, he was initiated into the K. N. D.

There are 2 key pieces of evidence to support this theory. Throughout most of the show, it's been mentioned that Numbuh 5 used to be leader of the team before handing over the role to Numbuh 1, whom she herself recruited. But we've never been given the story as to how or why Numbuh 5 handed the role over to Numbuh 1.

Part of the answer can be found in the episode "F.O.U.N.T.A.I.N." In this episode, the kids next door's mission was to save Leaky Leona, an ugly girl who had gotten kidnapped by the Delightful Children from Down the Lane. Throughout the episode, Numbuh 4 complains about how many high risks they were taking for the sake of saving a single girl.

Numbuh 4: "Okay, run this by me again. Why are we risking our lives to save Leaky Leona! She's never done anything for us. We barely even know her. What are we gonna help her for."

Numbuh 5: "Because, the last time Number 5 didn't help someone kidnapped by the delightful children, they did something she can't ever forgive!"

Numbuh 4: "What, what did they do that was so bad?"

Numbuh 1: "They made me bald."

Here's my theory: The Delightful Children from Down the Lane kidnapped Numbuh 1 for some reason. Maybe he had information that the Delightful Children wanted, or maybe Numbuh 1 became a test subject for one of their experiments. Either way, after Numbuh 1's captivity Numbuh 1 got diagnosed with cancer (perhaps a result from his captivity or out of sheer coincidence). Numbuh 5's team decided to spend much time with him during his time of sickness. Numbuh 5 no longer felt qualified to lead the team. The moment Numbuh 1 was showing signs of recovery she immediately decides to recruit him into the KND, both because of his experience of surviving the Delightful Children's grasp as well as her own guilt for not being able to save him. Her dedication to get Numbuh 1 into the KND is further shown in the episode "W.H.I.T.E.H.O.U.S.E.", where Numbuh 5 admits that she hacked into the system so that she could change Numbuh's 1's grades so that he could get into the KND. Shortly after Numbuh 1 got onto Numbuh 5's team (either on request from one of them, both of them, or through coincidence) Numbuh 5 felt confident enough in his ability to hand him the mantle of leadership.

via-Reddit.com

JUST A REMINDER
I do not take credit for any of these theories. They are all found online and belong to the original owners and websites which I post after each theory.

ALSO
My next theory may be Lilo and Stitch. What do y'all think?