Chapters 9-12

9.I Need Help

The next morning, I woke up to see Tom standing in my room with a tray of food. “Good morning. Let's eat. I'm starved,” complained Tom and I had to agree that I was famished. I sat with him at the small table and we ate quickly.

“How come they let you in without a guard?” I asked confused as I glanced around.

“Because I have this?” he replied as he pulled a small knife from his belt.

“Tom, I need your help,” I said calmly, keeping my eye on his knife.

“With what?” he inquired as he placed the knife on the table.

“To escape,” I whispered as my hand edged towards the knife.

“How can I?” he screeched happily.

“First, by giving me the knife.” He quickly placed it in my hand with no question and stared at me for more. “Second, I need you to find me a bottle,” I answered and he nodded; then he left. I was left in shock at how quickly Tom had agreed. I ran my fingers over the blade that he had given me before I hidden under the mattress of my bed.

I sat on the chair for a couple hours, thinking; then Tom showed up with our lunch. “Here James,” he said as he handed me a canteen.

“Thanks.” I hit it under the mattress too before joining him to eat. “Why are you so willing to help me?” I asked as I put down the bone, I had just licked clean.

“Because I'm coming too,” he answered as he jumped to the bed.

“You can't! It will be dangerous! And your wife and sister will miss you!” I whispered quickly and he looked me straight in the eyes.

“Really James, you need to get better at proving a point. You have family too that will miss you. You are hurt and I can't allow you to go alone; plus, I have everything already ready,” he answered as he patted my back.

“But you just changed!” I whispered urgently.

“True, but I have everything planned out. Our stuff that we need, is at a pine tree; so we just grab it and go. I also have escape plan,” he explained before he skillfully climbed the curtains and unlock the window with his toes, which were extra long. “Tonight after dinner, we can go through here and head for the forest that way; then I will come back to tell them that you escaped that way, while you circle around to the pine tree and I'll meet you there.”

“Sounds good,” I replied as I glanced at the window.

“Oh, Dr. Jason said you should have this. He called it a sling for your arm,” Tom told as he pulled a fabric basket thing from his pocket and helped me put it on.

“Thanks,” I called as he left.

10.My Sister! My Wife!