Chapters 21-24

21.Animal Cruelty

They threw me into a dark room with only one light, a bed, and a sleeping person. I quickly moved towards the bed and whispered, “Who are you?” I couldn't tell because they had covered their face.

“Tom,” he cried as he sat up and stared at me. “James!”

“How long have you been here?” I questioned as I uncomfortably sat beside him, wiggling my hands in trying to free them.

“Not long, just since we got back,” he told as he moved his arms, trying to rid his ropes.

“Are you arms sore too?” I asked as I turned my back to him and tied to untie his knots.

“Yes,” he whimpered quickly; then there was a scream and a pound from outside that echoed in our room. “What is going on out there?”

“Billy has taken over everything and declared himself King,” I explained as I gave up on the knot.

“So are Kelly and Tilly okay? Or are they like us?” he cried as I turned to face him again.

“No, I believe they are being treated like my wife, who has guards follow her everywhere,” I answered as I stared at the pale covers.

“Are we the only ones being treated this way? Because this is animal cruelty!” he screeched in my ear.

“I think so. We both ran off and I hit a few special people,” I wept.

“So what are we?” he asked frightened.

“Dr. Jason said that he believes King Billy thinks of us as lowly prisoners,” I cried as I unsteady stood up and placed my back against the wall. I slowly felt the wall for the light switch, but I couldn't find one; so I returned to the bed.

“I'm tired,” whimpered Tom as he painfully laid down, but he was soon asleep. I laid down too and it hurt a lot, but I fell asleep.

22.I'm a Threat, No Way to Save Me

The next morning we woke in a lighted room, but there were no windows. “Good morning,” greeted John as he sat at the table.

“Hello,” I replied as I painfully sat up and Tom did too.

“I'm sorry about this, but it should be a bit better,” he told as he cut our ropes and had us hold our hands in front; then he placed chains on our wrists.

“Much better,” Tom cried as John snapped the chains closed.

“Come and eat. The 'King' wanted me to tell you something before you go to work,” John said angrily as he walked to the small table. Tom and I sat down with John as the chains clinked as we walked. “Billy said that you were to be trained as guards, when you weren't doing what he asked.”