Chapter 4

The hunters took Darek back to the police station so his father could pick him up. He was still unconscious for a little while after arriving. When he came to, however, he was fully alert."

The psychologist at the facility started asking questions. Darek just said, "I don't remember anything." She seemed to believe him.

"Where is the bathroom?" he asked.

"Around the corner, on your left." she responded.

He nodded in understanding and went to the restroom. When he entered, he scanned his surroundings. The only other way out besides the door was a screened window.

There was safety glass on the other side. It was opened slightly to allow ventilation. If it would allow that then it wouldn't stop him. He changed into a mist and floated through the screen.

On the other side he changed into a winged creature of the night and went to the motel. He found the place totally ransacked! It was empty. He knew there was supposed to be books, but they were gone too. It didn't look like the police had done this, but they had made the one chalk outline of a body on the bed... that hunter's. Gerald's body had vanished, or had it?

The coroner must be trying to hide an unexplainable fact if it didn't vanish. Clues about the body had to be here somewhere...or do they? He looked for a pile of ashes on the floor where he had last seen Gerald, but there wasn't any. He was definitely going to have to find those books before he goes to Lancer. Finding them may be easy. Determining who has them may not.

The first place to look would be the police. Now that he thought about it, why would they have given them back to Gerald? Probably just another trick of the trade in retrieving them.

The second place would be wherever the hunters were staying. That part could be difficult, especially if they assume what I am. What would hunters do with those books anyway? There were only a couple of options that he could think of. They could keep them for future reference or sell them. It probably wouldn't be too difficult to get a high price for authentic vampire material. All they had to do is find someone dedicated to vampire lore.

Those books could surely change the outlook on the stereotypical vampire, he mused. Then again, how did he know what was in the books?

He sat in the room remembering until he was hit with a wave of seriousness. All I have to do is find some shelter, find those books and regain my mansion. Sounded easy.

It is also possible for me to get some leads or gain some advantages in all areas. First of all, a bridge would do fine for a shelter in the summertime. He definitely wasn't going back to his dad's.

A friend, named Garrick, worked in an antique bookstore. He had done business there before and it might be possible to persuade Garrick into helping him.

Maybe he wouldn't have to do this alone either. His best friend, Mark, would help him do anything. They had no secrets together and would keep nothing from each other ... so each thought.

Gerald had asked him about the pseudo-science called parapsychology. Darek knew about it because he and Mark had some dealing with it. They had developed telepathic communication with each other about a year ago. Since then it had only grown stronger.

He just hoped Mark could stick by him when he was told that his friend was a vampire. It's not everyday that you find out that kind of information.

It was weird that the two of them got along. Mark was the type that would do anything for money. People didn't normally place their full trust in him, but Darek did. Maybe that's why they were friends.