Chapter 26

Dinner every evening at Saith Manor was immaculate. The food was extraordinary. This evening Vintessa, as usual, sat at the head of the table. Mark took his seat around the corner from her with Garrick next to him. A surprising guest sat across from him however.

He recognized her as soon as she entered, but said nothing. The vampire that escorted her into the dining hall introduced her, "This is Marsta Odad," then he seated her. She glanced at Garrick and then locked eyes briefly with Mark. Then she nodded at Vintessa. The vampiress returned the acknowledgement.

Marsta was more beautiful in real life. Her long brown hair was naturally wavy with hints of blond and gold. The style gave her a look of innocent wildness. Her evening gown was royal blue and strapless.

Marks dream replayed instantaneously. His last image was of the silver dagger he had received as a gift when he woke.

"Are you okay?" asked Vintessa, her voice was even.

"Yeah. Why?" he replied.

"You just seem to be in dreamland or something," she said flatly.

He tried to read the expression on her face, but she seemed to stare right through him without expression.

A thin, sharp-featured man named Tagan entered, followed by the other three. Mark knew of six people that lived in the mansion, not including himself and Garrick.

Clamora was the only other female and she was like a maid. She soon came in after the others were seated and served food. When she was done, she served herself and sat.

Mark was nervous. Perhaps more so than Garrick had always been. For he knew for a fact that he was in the company of vampires. He had also determined the difference between Darek and these folk. Darek existed for himself and did things pertaining.

Vintessa and her brood, apparently, were selfish and evil, like he thought all vampires were. Now he knew a difference. He said nothing to anybody during the courses, for fear of sticking his foot in his mouth. Garrick only spoke to Mark in their room and never in the company of anyone else anyway. Moving utensils was the only sound at the table.

Mark thought it odd that Saith Manor was so elegant and contained priceless items but did not have real silverware. He put two and two together and came up with his stake. Maybe he would have to use it against one of the household. More than likely Vintessa. He knew that she could tell something was wrong, but he wasn't going to allow her to find out what.

He excused himself from the table and Garrick followed the leader. In the main hall Garrick asked, "What's the matter?"

"I wasn't hungry and I want to leave this town," he answered quickly.

"Did I hear you correctly?" he doubted.

"Yes," he assured. "We're getting out of here tonight."

"Wouldn't it be better to leave after sunrise?" suggested Garrick.

"Hmm," he thought. "I think you're right." His plans changed. "Tomorrow morning when everybody is doing what they do, we'll sneak out. I'm sure they won't notice. Especially since they should be sleeping.

Garrick understood and winked.

At midnight an insistent knocking came to the door. In his boxer shorts, Mark answered it. To his not total surprise, Marsta stood there. "Good evening," he said, imitating a Transylvanian accent.

"May I come in?" she ignored his attempt at humor.

He opened the door further and said, "Enter of your own free will." He saw her hesitation. "Garrick has been teaching me vampire etiquette."