Chapter 20

The feeling of aloneness was almost welcome. As he trod down the mountain highway that led into the nearby civilization, he felt small. The black, cold, night air added a helpless element to his thoughts.

For the first time in a long while he actually felt as though he had nobody. He was thankful for not having the concerns of a companion, always thinking for two or more people at a time. He could not predict when he would see one of his friends again. He decided not to make any more close friends or companions.

He had left his family to completely absorb himself into his new life. Was it wrong to try and bring someone he really cared about? He missed Mark.

During their friendship, they had always had breakups but not for more than a couple of days. It had been only a little over two weeks and yet it seemed like years.

At this stage in his life, their breakup could be permanent. He would fight against it though! He had never seen Mark scared of anything. But people always ignore or become scared when they come into contact with the unknown.

Mark may be frightened of the legends, thinking that Darek might suck his blood at any chance. Or he may be scared that Darek is a psycho and could do anything. Either way, Mark might decide to stay away from Darek completely.

Somehow he would have to convince Mark that he is still the same person, just different habits. He and Mark hid no secrets from each other, not even vampirism. If Mark still fails to comprehend, there was only one way he knew of to make him understand. He just hoped that it wouldn't be against his will.

It will probably never come to that. It's very likely that I won't see him for years. Once he and Garrick got off the plane they probably jumped on another one and flew home. Then he'd be in a foreign land all by himself. Just like now.

Vampires are supposed to be loners anyway. Except for a hunchback sidekick. He tried to imagine Mark with a hunchback, but failed.

He failed because of his arrival at where he first saw Sean. That incident flashed through his memory as he walked over to peer down into the little gully.

The van was gone. The car appeared to have been ransacked. He cursed himself for being so cold hearted! Tracy had given him several things and sacrificed property for other things. She had gotten caught in a situation not her own and died because of him.

What did they do with her body? Those bastards better have given her a decent burial! Rudy was now responsible for two deaths. It would be Rudy's turn one day. What goes around comes around. He was going to be there when it happened.

He burned that bridge and flew to town.

- 1 -

"When does your next plane leave for Brussels?" he asked a ticket saleswoman.

"One just left about fifteen minutes ago," she gave him unwanted information. She began typing on her computer keyboard. A green glow settled on her face. "The next one leaves this afternoon at two."

Darek shook his head and thought, fifteen minutes and I would have had it. Just my luck. Now I have to wait... he looked up at the clocks and found his time zone ...eleven and a half-hours.

He looked at the woman behind the counter, she was staring at him expectantly. "I'll take it," he didn't sound too happy. "One way," he added. He hoped for one sooner. He handed her the amount she asked for. When he had entered the airport, he had counted the money in the wallet. There was approximately sixteen hundred dollars. He couldn't believe Sean carried that much money around in his wallet. He felt sorry for any person attempting to mug Sean in the future. All the money he had won was left in the car. Finding it ransacked, one would only assume the cash to be gone.

He found the woman, intently watching him as he put money back into his wallet. He caught her attention and smiled. She quickly returned her look back to her computer.

"Your name sir?"

"Darek Kersey," he hoped she didn't want identification.

She prepared the ticket and said, "Have a wonderful trip Mr. Kersey."

He nodded his head and put the ticket in his inside jacket pocket. Was that a sarcastic undertone to her voice? He disregarded his curiosity and began walking around.

Just to humor himself, he went into the men's restroom. Let's see how exciting this one can get, he fantasized.

The bathroom smelled of cleaning agents and air fresheners. The surfaces were all blue and caused a glare. Darek covered his eyes upon entering. He spread his fingers slightly to allow sight. But still he had to squint.

He jumped up and punched one of the lights. It threw sparks down around him and went out. Sharp pangs were shooting through his hand. He began pulling out shards of plastic and glass. Blood began to flow. He lapped it from his knuckles. When he heard squeaky shoes, he looked up.

A man wearing a sweater and Levi's walked out of a stall. He was carrying a small purple bag with a gold drawstring. Looking up at the damaged light, he said, "Are you okay?" He phrased it as though he was also referring to Darek's state of mind.

"Yeah. I'm fine," he responded.

"Good. Could you throw this away for me?" He tossed the bag to Darek.

It felt like fine sand in the bag as he grasped it firmly. The cloth bag looked brand new. "In the garbage?" he asked stupidly. Where else, he mentally mocked himself.

"Nevermind. Just keep it," he said suspiciously, walking past a confused vampire. He turned to the door as it hissed shut behind the odd stranger.

He walked out of the door to question the man. Suddenly, from behind his left side, he felt a hand grab that arm and then something cold hit his wrist. He recognized the click and feeling as a pair of handcuffs. He spun, "What the...!"

A law official was attempting to grab his other arm. With his left arm, he flung the cop into the metal door behind him. The policeman's neck snapped.

He grabbed the dead arm and pulled the man to his feet. Then he balanced him carefully in the corner. He left with the handcuffs hanging from one hand and a bag in his other.

He wasn't even concerned with what had happened, he was however looking for more enemies. He was terribly frustrated by not being able to understand how Rudy kept finding him and yet couldn't face him. Or did he know that he didn't have a chance?

He had begun to run when he turned into a corridor and found four policemen facing him. They immediately drew their weapons on him and yelled, "Don't move!"

He halted and raised his arms into the air. His grasp on the bag was released and it opened when it hit the ground. Some white powder spilled out. What did I get into, he worried. Without looking, he knew he could escape by darting out the same way he got in. He was positive that he was fast enough.

The police proved him wrong. As he moved, they fired. He was hit once in the heart, the spinal cord was severed, the shoulder, and the stomach were hit too. Darek fell instantaneously to the ground. Soon a coroner pronounced the body deceased.