Chapter 11

The airport wasn't too crowded at eleven that night. At first, there was no rush to get on a flight. They had plenty of time. They had arrived and then had to wait until two to leave. The decision was made to eat dinner in a comfortable restaurant.

When their food arrived cold, they got their first indication that this would not be a terrific morning. They sent the food back to be remade. It was satisfactory the second time around.

The second indication was when they found the car blocked. There was a fence in front and two cars on either side. At the back, there was a large truck. It took them a half an hour to find the owner. During that time, they were worrying about catching their flight. It was one when they got back to the airport. That was an experience, considering that Garrick let Darek drive. And, he had never driven in a big city before.

For the next hour they waited. Garrick fell asleep. Darek went scouting. An uncrowded public facility...what more could you ask for? After awhile he figured that tourists never leave their tight-nit groups. Until they separated, they were safe.

The lighting was also low, because of the hour. That was convenient on his behalf. As he walked back to wake up Garrick, the lights suddenly increased to their maximum intensity. The unexpected change was very painful. Garrick awoke by himself. Mark was not there. It was about time to board their plane as well.

They had about ten minutes before it left. Mark came back unnoticed. He picked up the luggage and began to carry it to their gate. That's when they noticed that he was back. They said nothing to him, however.

All three began to walk toward the metal detectors. From the corner of his eye, he saw the hunters! How the fuck did they find me here, was his first thought! "You two go ahead. I need to use the restroom," he began walking in the opposite direction. "I'll meet you on the plane."

Mark said nothing. Garrick just nodded. He could feel the hunter's minds. But he wasn't experienced enough to read them, or know exactly where they were. They were definitely on the hunt! Would they have enough guts to follow him into the bathroom? He decided to find out.

He tossed the door open and strode in. The air shocks above these kinds of doors used to cause him problems. Not any more. He sensed someone in one of the stalls. He grabbed the door and tore it from its metal hinges. The man standing behind it turned in surprise. Unknowingly, he began to urinate on himself. The golden liquid darkened his brown slacks as it spread through the fabric. In a very deep, guttural voice, he said, "Get out. Now!" His eyes were glowing crimson. The man didn't disobey.

The actions he took next were not premeditated, they just happened. The lights went low and the front door was thrust open. The lights were his doing, the door was not.

Two armed men cautiously walked into the restroom. They surveyed their surroundings and found none. They walked through with their crossbows, searching for danger. They hadn't noticed it yet! Very slowly, the room filled with a thick mist. They realized it too late.

It caused them to feel light headed and dizzy. As a wolf, Darek jumped from under the sink counter at the closest man. His mouth closed around his slender knee. Needle sharp teeth sunk through skin until they met bone. Then the points of his canines began to engrave grooves down the bones as he closed his jaw. Finally, his teeth found soft cartilage and his teeth sank further.

This all occurred in a split second. All in flight. As he fell from the man, his jaws ripped the kneecap off. The pain must have been tremendous. The man began to scream as Darek caught on. When it was torn away, the man crumpled to the floor, unconscious.

His partner's reflexes were slow. He turned as the guy fell. His crossbow was also fired. The stake imbedded itself into his partner's torso.

Still a wolf, he paused and stared for a moment.

He then remolded himself into a human being and said, "Thank you for finishing your friend for me." He emphasized the words, your friend.

His adversary stood dead still. Darek strode forward as he thanked him. The hunter couldn't move! He grabbed the man's throat and removed it. He dropped like a stone after a few minutes of banging around the room. It reminded Darek of a dance of the dead, so he, mockingly, began the ritual himself.

After it was over, he walked to the sink and washed his bloodstained hands and face. He glanced at himself in the mirror and said, "You are a sick puppy." He smiled at himself and walked out, drying his hands on his pants. Out in the lounge, he noticed some of his fog lingering around. Fortunately, everyone had left for his or her flight. Therefore, nobody heard the screams.

As he walked toward the metal detectors again, a man said, "If you're leaving on this flight, you'd better run." Darek's pace quickened, but he didn't feel like running. He passed through and went directly to his gate.

The plane waited calmly with its engine rumbling. Its passengers were boarded. Darek would really have to hurry! He began to jog. He went through the last door and exited the building. He was stopped by Rudy's words; "This stake can penetrate from the back."

He stood facing the runway. He watched as a truck drove over to remove the boarding ramp. "Get it over with!" he surrendered with a growl.

"Turn around slowly," ordered Rudy. "I always like to get to know my prey. Any last words for me to remember you by?" The aircraft's rumblings got quieter as it got further away. Soon after it left the ground, there was no sound. It was over for him anyway!

"Don't forget the head," reminded Darek. He felt proud to say those words.

Rudy heard a man behind him say, "Pardon me." He turned around like a kid getting caught stealing candy. There was nobody there! He turned back around and found an empty walkway. "Tricky bastard!" he laughed. This would prove to be one of his better hunts.