2

Six Tries Left

It was like he was floating in water. Completely surrounded and unable to feel anything but his own limbs. Like he was flying. His mind wasn't as foggy, and he was pretty sure the alcohol in his system had burned out. He remembered jumping, but not hitting the ground. He was pretty sure Jason had caught him, but was unsure.

And then he felt the sheets around him. His warm, crisp, green sheets that were tangled around his feet and legs. He was back in his bed, and for a wild second he thought he'd been right. He was dreaming.

He couldn't open his eyes. He was terrified that he was wrong, that she'd be gone, that she wouldn't be fast asleep beside him. But then, he felt the warmth at his side and something sparked in his head. A crazy, wild hope that forced his eyes open as he prayed to every God and goddess, even Ares and Hera, that she'd be there beside him.

The relief was consuming as he felt her fingers entwined with his, her blonde hair splayed about on the pillow. His breath hitched and he felt he may cry as his fear abated, leaving him with a small sense of comfort. It had been a dream. Just a dream.

But... It had seemed so real. He shook his head to clear that thought. All that mattered was that she lay there beside him. It took all of his strength not to wake her up then kiss her then and there.

Instead, he scooted up against his headboard, rubbing his eyes like in that action it could force the image of Annabeth sprawled in the middle of the road from his mind. His eyes sought out the calendar, and his mouth pressed into a thin line as he saw the date. June 6th.

It seemed as if his heart would hammer out of his chest. That had been the date... But he shook his head, running his fingers through his hair quickly before looking down at Annabeth, taking in her sleeping figure. She looked so peaceful, so beautiful...

Again, he had to shake his head, shifting so that he could get out of the bed, but the movement woke her, and she opened an eye at him. His heart stuttered. He didn't think he'd be able to see her eyes again. Right then he decided that that was his favorite shade of grey. Hands down.

"Percy?" She whispered groggily, rubbing her eyes with her fists. It reminded him of a little kid and, he had to admit, it was adorable. "Why are you up? It's like, four in the morning." She pointed out. Percy couldn't control it, he leaned down and kissed her right then, hearing her gasp in shock before closing her eyes and melting into his embraced

All of his emotions poured into that kiss. The desperateness, the love, the relief, and Annabeth could discern each of them. But she just filed that away for now, and instead kissed him back.

When they pulled away, Percy buried his face into her neck, trying to hide the fact that moisture had built in his eyes purely from happiness. Ecstasy. She was back, she was here, she wasn't dead. That all ran through his mind.

"Gods..." He heard himself saying. He was half laying on her, holding onto her waist and her arms were around his neck, clearly she'd noticed that he was upset as she kept running her fingers through his hair.

"What's wrong, Percy? Did you have a dream?" Her voice was tired, but also slightly worried. He didn't answer for a while, just holding her, then he picked his head up and kissed her again.

"I love you..." Percy said against her lips. Annabeth pulled away, looking at him with apprehension, she moved her hands to the nape of his neck.

"I love you too... Percy, what's going on? What happened?" She asked. Percy just shook his head, burying his face in her neck, taking in the scent of lemons. Annabeth didn't push it, instead smoothed his hair just to ruffle it again. It was about five minutes of this before Percy started shaking. "Percy?" She gasped, trying to pull his head up so she could look him in the eye, but he just pulled her closer.