7

Last Goodbye...

Her hair tickled his chin as he woke up. No dream, no warnings. Nothing. He just opened his eyes, his arms around Annabeth tightly.

This was his last shot. His last chance to keep her. If she died now, she'd die forever.

That was a nice thing to wake up to...

Percy pulled her closer, closing his eyes as the sense of doom settled over him. He had always thought of himself as powerful, that he was able to protect his friends and family easily. But now? He felt small and helpless.

"Percy?" Annabeth asked, and he realized she had woken up. He loosened his arms from around her waist and she turned, looking up at him in the dark, "Are you okay?" She asked quietly, her eyes sleepy.

Percy couldn't help but smile, "Yeah, I'm fine. Good morning, Wise Girl."

"Good morning." She smiled back, pressing her lips to his. She pulled away, "Ugh, morning breath." She scrunched her nose.

"You know you love me!" Percy teased, putting a kiss to her forehead.

"Not when you smell like fish, Seaweed Brain. Go brush your teeth or something." She pushed him playfully.

"You're no fun." Percy wrapped his arms around her, not letting her see how he was barely keeping himself together, "I'll be right back. Stay here."

"Fine by me." She buried her face in her pillow. Percy laughed, sitting up quickly. Like always, the sense of importance was taking over his mind. Nico had helped him significantly in protecting Annabeth, so he would call the boy and explain it to him once again. He'd also have to tell Annabeth himself that she was in danger, so hopefully she wouldn't be as mad.

Percy stood, crossing the room and entering the bathroom where he brushed his teeth and Iris Messaged Nico. The boy took the information in stride, agreeing to stop by the apartment later on, after Percy explained to Annabeth what was happening.

Percy leaned on the sink, taking a deep breath as he thought of what he needed to do. He had to tell her, keep her safe, and kill Momus himself. It was the only way to save her. Even though he knew that he was talking about Annabeth Chase, the girl who could save herself easily, he still decided it was his only possibility.

But, could that have been where he was wrong?

Running his hand through his hair, Percy took several deep breaths. Light was filtering through the blinds in the bathroom, and in the mirror he could see his tired face. It was as if all of his troubles from these past days were wearing down on him finally, and he hadn't even really lived them. Which was confusing.

Percy finally got his bearings, walking back out of the bathroom and seeing Annabeth laying in the exact same position, her face buried in a pillow against the upcoming sun.

"Annabeth?" Percy went to her side of the bed, kicking a notepad away with his bare foot. She was an organized mess, always leaving papers and blueprints and pencils in her wake when she was in "Work mode".

"Go away." Came Annabeth's voice. Percy couldn't help to laugh, "Don't laugh at me!"

"Why not? You're adorable." He ruffled her hair to annoy her, smirking when she turned her head slightly so only one eye showed and gave him a glare that could turn anyone to a pile of ash.