3

Five Tries Left

He was floating again. The wind howled through his hair, and shadows danced behind his eyelids. His hands were limp at his sides. He hated flying. But, this was different. Not so much flying as... Swimming. Swimming through his mind. He wondered if he'd died.

The car, it has sped towards them so fast. The person didn't even try to swerve, instead hitting Percy's mother's car full force. Right at Annabeth's side. Her head had been laying against the window, and he remembered the sound of the glass shattering.

Two times. Two times he'd watched Annabeth Chase die. Both times it hurt like Hades. He remembered opening his eyes in the car to see fire.

So much fire.

Her body was bloody, but no matter how much he tried to pull her out of the car before the fire reached her, he couldn't. Then he was pulled out of the car by rescue people.

Then... You can guess what happened after that.

But now here he was. Suspended in air as he breathed slowly. His hands blindly grasping at the air. The darkness was drowning him.

And then he jerked, and felt soft sheets under his body. Sunshine poured onto his face, over his closed eyes. He gasped, grabbing the comforter that was placed over his legs, he pulled himself up, blinking quickly.

It was his bedroom. Again. The dresser in the corner, one of it's drawer containing a box. A box with a ring on it.

And beside him laid Annabeth, her hair splayed on the pillow. Her hands were in fists, she was breathing softly. He reached out hesitantly, touching her shoulder. The warmth spread through his warm hand.

Her eyes opened, and she turned her head towards him, analyzing him with her stormy grey eyes. The sun cast a shadow over her face when she sat up.

"Percy?" She asked. The son of Poseidon swallowed, wrapping her in his arms. "Nightmare?" She whispered.

"Yeah. Two nights in a row, I guess." Annabeth looked up at him.

"You haven't had a nightmare in a week, Percy." She pointed out, scrunching her eyebrows together. Percy stiffened, holding her to him tighter.

"What's the date?" He mumbled.

"June sixth..." Annabeth said hesitantly. Percy shook slightly, his heart rate picking up. "Percy?" Annabeth asked, but he just held her close and laid back on the bed, his mind racing.

Same day. Same date for two days in a row. Annabeth shifted slightly in his arms, trying to get his attention, but he was too lost in thought.

Was it all real? Why does she keep dying? Is she dead now? Am I dreaming that she's alive? How can I keep her alive?

He knew he had to figure it out. He had to. It was the same day, he was sure. None of it was a dream. Percy wished he could ask Annabeth. She was the one that figured things out, analyzed them, solved things, and he just fought with her, using the information she gave him to kill the monsters. She'd know what to do. His Wise Girl, the one with all the answers.

But he couldn't. She would think he was crazy, she wouldn't understand what he'd seen. Deep in his mind he knew it was up to him and only him. He was alone.

"Percy, what happened?" Annabeth asked, putting his face in her hands. Percy leaned into her touch.

"I love you," He changed the subject, "Let's stay home today, alright?" Annabeth pressed her mouth into a thin line.