6

TwO TRiEs rEmAIn

The shadows engulfed him. Pulling his hair and clothes, a sense of dread and despair rushing through his body. It was truly agonizing, as he was jerked from side to side as if he were on a Death Hamock. Mixtures of grey and black swirled before his eyes like he was in his own personal Fields of Punishment already. It sure felt like it.

Percy felt ashamed. He'd failed her once more, even if this time he didn't see her die. He remembered Iris Messaging Piper, waiting to see if Annabeth made it there. She never did.

He was a fool to have left her, to have given up, he knew it. If Annabeth were to have survived, their relationship would be in tatters. He was a coward for giving up because he didn't want to lose her again.

Coward. The word echoed around Percy and it took him a few seconds to realize someone had actually said it. He looked over to see a seething Athena, her hands clenched at her sides and her jaw tight. She was red with anger.

You selfish coward... Her voice doubled over itself, hitting Percy with the force of a mechanical bull every time the overlapping words reached his ears.

"I did my best," He tried to say, "I was so close-"

Not close enough. Her hair, usually in an elegant bun, hung in strands around her face, The world will burn if she dies, I hope you know. She snapped.

Of course. It wasn't as if Athena cared about Annabeth's safety. The thought made Percy want to punch Athena in her godly face. That would be a bad idea though, he knew, so he kept his hands firmly at his sides.

"Momus. What will he do?" Percy asked, the swaying turning more violent as the Death Hammock turned into a Death Blender.

Destroy the world to get revenge on Zeus, Poseidon, and I. Athena scoffed, I didn't think he had it in him, to be honest. He's always been the one to attack verbally, not physically.

Percy stared at Annabeth's mother with disgust, his heart thudding as anger filled him as well.

"You don't even care about her... You care about yourself." He seethed, too angry to realize he was talking to a goddess that could turn him into dust at will.

Who? My daughter? Athena asked, looking away. Her eyes were stony. Yes, I care about her, but this is a more important matter than one of my children dying. She hardly matters-

"She matters to me!" Percy yelled, the blood pounding through his ears. Athena pulled back, clearly shocked.

"I am a goddess! You do not-"

"I'll do whatever the Hades I want! It's not like you'll kill me! I'm the only one who can keep Annabeth alive at the moment, therefore, I'm your means of survival."

"I never imagined a child of that Sea Urchin could have a brain." Athena crossed her arms, looking at Percy coldly. She stayed silent for a moment before noticing how Percy was steadily being shaken around more and more.

"Its almost time," She said, "This is your last try. If she dies this time, you'll hardly had time to save her after this. From the time you awake to the time you fall asleep again." Athena stared at him with her grey eyes that resembled Annabeth's so much, "If she survives, well, I can assure you that she will have a long and happy life." She seemed to be bribing him with the possibility of a future with Annabeth, like he would even need to be bribed. He was truly trying his best for now.

"How old... How old will she die if I save her?" Percy asked, his voice shaky. The aspect of perhaps being married to Annabeth, having little versions of themselves running around, was tempting. He had to know if he'd even be able to keep her. Athena blinked.