4

Four Tries Left

Percy was seriously tired of floating.

He used to love the feeling. Like when he was suspended in water. But now? It meant he failed. He failed to keep Annabeth safe.

He failed her again.

He wasn't as scared as before. He knew he'd wake up and have his arms around her. There'd be nothing separating them this time. Nothing.

"You imbecile" A voice echoed through his mind and he opened his eyes, staring into the blazing grey ones. The woman in front of him breathed heavily as she stood, not floated. Her greek gowns billowed around her feet, and a knife was strapped to her side, a war helmet under her arm. Her dark hair spilled over her shoulders and Percy realized how much Annabeth looked like her mother. They were practically twins, minus the hair.

"You're almost out of turns," Athena said steely, watching the boy closely. The shadows around him rippled.

"Wha- where am I? Why are you here?"  Percy asked, looking at the goddess. He didn't even bother to say 'Mistress' or anything, he was too confused at the moment.

Athena rolled her eyes, "Three chances I have given you. And still, my daughter lies dead. You'd think that her boyfriend would be more careful in protecting her. Especially one who claims to love her." Athena spat, her grip on her war helmet tightening. Percy blinked.

"I- I do love her!" Was all he said, taken aback by the insults, "I'm trying, it's just-"

"You're easily outwitted, even by the lowest of the low."

"Lowest of the low?" Percy asked immediately, hoping to find out who had killed Annabeth. Athena's eyes narrowed, but he could see worry in them.

"There is no time to explain. You will have to figure it out yourself. You have four more tries, including this one, to save my daughter. Or you will wake up with her dead, and her killer will get away." Athena said hurriedly, but with the same serious tone. As she talked, the room seemed to spin, Percy started feeling dizzy, and he tried to get out a couple of words.

"Who? Tell me who! So I can find him!" It came out as a scream as Athena bobbed in and out of his vision.

"He hates us! Names are power! You mustn't-"

And she was gone, and Percy lay on his bed, Annabeth at his side.

///

This would be the last time. He would save Annabeth. He would find her killer, and he would destroy him.

Percy immediately stood when he woke up, making up a plan. They'd go to Piper and Jason's, where his friends could help him protect Annabeth. He'd tell them he was expecting a monster attack, and that it'd be brutal. Actually, better not tell them that. Annabeth's killer would show up, and Percy would cut off his head.

As he paced around the room, Annabeth woke up, bleary eyed as she blinked at him, "Percy? What're you-"

"Who all hates Athena?" Percy rushed out. Annabeth looked at him incredulously.

"Is that a joke? Lots of people hate Athena, Percy." Annabeth said slowly. Percy ran his fingers through his hair, then put on his shoes.

"I'm calling Jason and Piper. We're going to hang out with them today, okay?"

"Percy, I have to work-"

"Please? It's important." He was so distressed at the idea he had a limited amount of time to save her that he couldn't even do the 'wounded seal' face properly. Annabeth sighed, rubbing at her eyes.