Chapter 8 - KNIGHT

AUTHOR'S NOTE:

Jean is attending his first day of school at St. Luke's Daycare, while Carinne, the "girl of his dreams," is passing the time just a few miles away, remembering an erstwhile "knight in shining armor."  What connects the two?

Enjoy today's chapter of DUBY'S DOCTOR.  Remember to vote, comment, and share.  It's all for you.

~o~   ~o~   ~o~   ~o~   

Sunshine glinted off the chrome of convertibles and the cameras of tourists. Salt-tanged sea breezes swished among the palm fronds in Peacock Park. Gourmet coffee aromas mingled with the smells of fresh seafood broiling in butter and herbs. Coconut Grove inundated the senses of its denizens on a warm autumn day.

Inside The Mayfair, Carinne and Trish enjoyed none of the sights and sounds of the Grove outside

Inside The Mayfair, Carinne and Trish enjoyed none of the sights and sounds of the Grove outside. As always, Carinne traveled in her climate-controlled, window-tinted limousine directly to The Mayfair's underground garage, and from there up the secure elevators to The Mayfair's climate-controlled boutiques.

Carinne Averell had never walked the Bohemian streets of Coconut Grove. As the only child of a wealthy and paranoid widower, she would never enjoy wending her way like a commoner among street musicians, jewelry hawkers, sidewalk eateries, skaters, cyclists, and Frisbee-carrying dogs.

Trish, her hired friend, walked beside Carinne through the posh MayFair mall while Rico, the vigilant "chauffeur," trailed a few yards behind the two girls.

At the entrance to an exclusive lingerie shop, Rico hesitated. Instead of accompanying the girls into frou-frou territory, he stayed just outside the door. He followed them with his eyes only. Carinne knew his casual stance was a lie. In the same way, she knew his Men-in-Black sunglasses hid the way he watched her even though his face seemed directed elsewhere. And she knew his eyes, even without the sunglasses, revealed nothing of the man behind them.

Trish lifted a racy hot pink teddy for Carinne to see, shielding it from Rico's eyes with her body. "How about this?" Trish said. "Guaranteed to jump-start your fiancé's heart."