Chapter 28: RE-EMERGENCE

AUTHOR'S NOTE:

Today's both happy and sad: it's the day we append "Completed" to the Wattpad listing for DUBY'S DOCTOR.  Thank you for reading, voting, and commenting. Please take a moment and leave an honest review (even if it's only "I liked it") on Goodreads (https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/29656137-duby-s-doctor), Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/Dubys-Doctor-Iris-Chacon-ebook/dp/B01CRF31RO), or Smashwords (https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/564444).

Enjoy the final chapter of DUBY'S DOCTOR.

~o~  ~o~  ~o~  ~o~  ~o~

By the time Jean and Mitchell's transport docked and they began to climb wearily from the Zodiac to the pier, the SWAT team lieutenant and Frank Stone were arriving from the restaurant building at a run

By the time Jean and Mitchell's transport docked and they began to climb wearily from the Zodiac to the pier, the SWAT team lieutenant and Frank Stone were arriving from the restaurant building at a run. When the four of them met on the pier, Stone grabbed Duby and wrapped him in a desperate bear hug, blinking moisture from his eyes.

Duby did not release Mitchell's hand, and Stone backed off long enough to reach for her and bring her into what was now a three-way hug. Mitchell began sniffing back tears, also.

Duby pulled back from the group hug, "What is the matter? Why is everyone crying? Everything is fine now."

"I don't know what you're talking about, boy. I never cry," growled Stone, and he sniffed.

"Thank you for coming to help me, Frank Stone."

"You're very welcome... Jean." Stone patted Mitchell's shoulder and stepped back to face the couple.

Duby had moved from holding her hand to circling her waist with one arm, keeping her close to his side. She was resting her head against his chest, as happy and natural as a kitten nestling on a sunny windowsill.

Stone said, "I didn't do much, as it turns out. Doctor, you nearly gave me a heart attack when you swam out to that boat."

Duby said, "Me, too."

A policeman arrived with two blankets and said, "Us, too" as he wrapped one around Mitchell's shoulders. He handed the second blanket to Duby.

Stone reached over and helped wrap the blanket around Duby's bare shoulders. It was clear that Duby would not relinquish Mitchell's hand simply to keep himself from freezing in the sea breeze.

From the direction of the parking lot, they heard shouting in rapid French. Duby, being the tallest in the group, was first to spot the source of the voice. "Maman is here."

"Why am I not surprised?" Stone said, producing a handkerchief from his pocket and wiping away the evidence of his tears.