Chapter 11: MEMORY

AUTHOR'S NOTE:

Jean has an unexpected memory, and the nefarious Stone takes an action that will lead to dangerous circumstances.

Enjoy Chapter 11 of DUBY'S DOCTOR.

~o~   ~o~   ~o~   ~o~

Hector lounged across Jean's Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle® bedspread and watched Jean work at a painting on his easel.

"Dinner!" came Mitchell's voice from the kitchen. "You guys wash your hands!"

As Jean began to clean his brushes and wash up for dinner, Hector rose and walked closer to the new canvas. Hector wiped his face, hairline to chin, with both hands.

"Why? Why do you do this to me?"

"What?" said Jean.

"I want this woman!" Hector growled.

"Take her," said Jean, gesturing to the painting. "I have others." He made a circle with one hand, indicating the many portraits on the floor, all around the room, leaning against the walls.

Hector leered. "Dude, I would love to take her!" he said, but Jean did not understand the double entendre.

Mitchell stood in the doorway of Jean's room, absently wiping a serving spoon on her apron. "I believe you'll have to explain your meaning, Hector. And I, for one, can't wait to hear it."

Hector looked at Jean then shook his head and told Mitchell, "Last year I explained to my brother-in-law how to complete his income tax forms. The year before that I explained to a very scary professor how a Weimaraner ate my research paper. And, the year before that I explained to my Jewish abuela how I came to believe in Jesus. I'm pretty good at explaining things..."

"But?" said Mitchell.

"But," said Hector, "I can't explain the dating process to Jean. First of all, he don't talk. I can't teach him how to woo the ladies with golden words if he don't wanna talk."

"I agree he's mostly non-verbal. But someone as accomplished with the ladies as you are must have, uh, techniques that you use when talking is, uh, inappropriate."

"Nope. No, no, no," Hector insisted. "I mean, I do have techniques, of course. But, I'm definitely not the guy to teach Jean about women." He looked at Jean and back at Mitchell. "You're a woman, Doc!"

"Thank you, Hector. I'd like it better if you wouldn't sound so surprised," she quipped.

"No, I mean, since you're a woman, you should explain to Jean about women. That's all."

"Ah," said Mitchell. "And, what should I explain about women?"

Jean inserted, "Stone says, 'Women are The Great E Nigma.' What's a nigma?"

"Who?" Mitchell cried in surprise. As far as she knew, Jean had never even seen the rumpled senior agent, Frank Stone. Now, he was quoting the man? Now, he knew the man's name?

Jean stopped cleaning his brushes, alarmed by Mitchell's tone. He looked up to see her advancing on him.

"What?" he said, befuddled.

"What did you just say about enigmas?"

"I don't know. I didn't mean to say it. It just came out. I didn't know it was a bad word. I'm sorry."

Mitchell grabbed Jean by his shoulders as if she would shake him – which, of course, she could not manage to do. "Who is Stone?" she demanded.

"I don't know. I didn't mean it. I said I was sorry, Michel. Please..."