Nightmares - Newt Imagine

You had been in the Glade for almost a year now and it was another normal, non-eventful day. Exhausted, you decided to skip dinner and get some extra sleep in. 

Curling up in your hammock between Newt and Minho's, sleep came easily. They had put you there to make you feel safe, after all you were the only girl in the Glade. You fell into the dark abyss of sleep shortly after your head touched the soft pillow. 

The dreams passed you, one after another. In the meantime it had gotten dark. The gladers had finished their dinner and started to head to sleep themselves.

Newt was relieved to see you safe and sound in your hammock when he reached his. He had noticed you missing from dinner that night. He layed down in his own hammock only after covering you up with a blanket to ensure you wouldn't get cold. 

Nightmares. They didn't come often, but when they did they were petrifying. 

It came unannounced, suddenly you were trapped in a vine covered maze after dark. You weren't a runner, but you ran. The noises of the oncoming monster seemed to get closer at each corner you turned. You stopped to breathe, thinking you had time.  

You had been wrong. You looked up, your eyes meeting the face of the monster in front of you. A griever. Unimaginable in size, covered in slime, and getting closer by the second. 

You let out a scream loud enough to pierce the ears of anyone within miles, but nobody would come to help. It gained on you as you ran. Closer. 

And closer. 

And closer it got. 

You turned back, tripping over something that hadn't been there seconds before. The monster hovered over you, extending its claw like arm. The stinger about to pierce your skin. 

You scream, shooting up in your hammock, nearly falling out. Strong arms wrapped around you faster than the tears could hit your cheeks. Your head was pulled into a warm chest and you clung on, not knowing who it was but not caring. You pulled your knees up to your body and the person slid into your hammock, holding you as your body wracked with quiet sobs. 

The person hummed quietly while simultaneously rocking you back and forth as you slowly calmed down from the nightmare. Your tear stained eyes looked up to meet soft caramel colored ones. 

Newt. 

He wiped your tears away slowly as your breathing finally returned to normal. 

You had a crush on Newt, how couldn't you. He had pulled you out of the box and you had fell for him faster than you could remember your own name. The accent, his sweet demeanor, and his strong work ethic all pulled you in from day one.

He looked at you sadly, not questioning you or forcing you to talk. You knew he frequented nightmares too. You had watched him toss and turn on multiple occasions, wanting to be he one to help him through it, just as he was doing to you now. 

You swallowed the lump that had formed in your throat and he gave you a small hug, letting you wrap your arms around him before standing to move back to his own hammock. 

You didn't think twice before reaching out to grab his hand, stopping him in his tracks. He turned around slowly to look back at you.

"Stay, please." You whispered as you looked up at him, still shaking slightly. He searched your eyes, you had sounded so weak and broken and it hurt him to see you like this. He nodded slowly before getting back into your hammock with you. 

He sighed as he laid facing you, wrapping his arms around your waist as you laid your head on his chest. He rubbed your back softly as you fell asleep in his arms. 

He waited until you were fully asleep before looking down at your sleeping figure and sighing. He placed a soft kiss of your forehead, mumbling, "I love you" before following you into the darkness of sleep.

He made a promise to himself then and there. He would be there for you after every nightmare from then on. 

He never once broke that promise. 

__________________________________________________________________

Well that was probably really bad. That's alright though. 

That gif. Who gave him permission to kill me? That's from Nowhere Boy if you were wondering. 

Shoutout to justdonothing for being the first person to vote on the last chapter!  Another shoutout goes to stileslover2 for being cute and for encouraging me to post this at 2am! <3

Love all of you guys so so much. I have over 28k reads and this story is #944 in random! That may seem like it's not a big deal but I didn't think I would ever get this many reads so tysm ily all! Please  keep reading, commenting (lots of you forget this one), and voting!