2

It was pouring outside, to the point where the other side of the street was blurry from my window. The darkened sky was once in a while illuminated by electric roots making their way across the sky. I love lightning, as scary as it is, it never ceases to amaze me with its beauty. The sound of thunder could be heard a fraction of second after the burst of light, due to the difference between the speed of sound and the speed of light.
It's been this way all night, and with my hair stuck into a messy bun, blankets covering my shoulders and a hot cup of tea in my hands, I stared at the storm going on outside, sitting on a bench right by the window in the corner of my room.

"So, are you coming or not?"

I turned around to look at Scarlett, standing in the middle of my room all dolled up, "Max is waiting for us in the car,"

"Actually, I'm thinking about ditching that party, I feel like watching movies and taking a nice warm bath. I'm sleepy," I replied, turning my gaze back to the window I was leaning on.

"Since when do you skip parties?"

"Since right now," I lazily smiled, sipping on my tea.

"Well, call me if you change your mind," she replied, taking two bottles of beer in between her ring filled fingers and a half-full bottle of vodka, shoving them in her backpack.

"I plan on drinking, so I won't be able to pick you up if you need a ride," she said, putting on lipgloss.

"It's okay, I'll just drive. I really don't feel like going though so that probably won't be a problem,"

"Lara," she said on a dry tone, turning around with mascara in her hand, "This better not be because of Sam,"

"Why would it be because of Sam? I've moved on from him, and I couldn't care less whether he's at this party or not,"

Even I didn't believe the words coming out of my mouth.
Sam is my ex boyfriend, a really nice guy, way too good to be true. He is well educated, has a lot of ambitions, he's funny, he's polite, my mom was practically in love with him, you know? We've dated on and off for about a year and a half before I walked in on him cheating on me, and that's when the fun stopped. Being cheated on is certainly the highlight of this school year to this day. This happened about a week ago, and I would love to be one of those people who can move on to the next really quickly, but I can't.
I don't really get attached, but when I do, it hits pretty hard.

Truth is, it was because of fucking Sam. I didn't want to see him. At all.

"Okay, but if it is, don't miss this opportunity to have fun because of that asshole,"

"I know, go now, have fun," I smiled, waving her goodbye as she made her way down the stairs.
I heard the front door slam and the car engine starting outside. I glanced at the car, seeing its headlights turn on, as Scar's small figure entered the passenger seat, giving one last glance at my bedroom window with a caring smile.
They drove off and I sighed, turning my gaze away from outside.

Truth be told, I really wanted to go to that party. I love parties, they're fun, and I'm a pretty social person. I like to have fun once in a while.
I knew Scar was right, but I felt like if I did go there, I would cry the second I laid my eyes on him. Especially under the influence of alcohol, it would be terrible.

After about an hour or two of laying around in my bed, watching movies on my computer and trying to sleep, I looked at the clock next to my bed, indicating 11:12 in white digits.
I sighed and stared at my ceiling.
My phone buzzed next to me, I picked it up and read Scarlett as the sender of the text message. I furrowed my eyebrows, and opened it.
Nothing was written, it was simply a picture.