6

"We looked at each other a little too long to be 'just friends',"
-Unknown

____________

Broken promises I thought to myself as I opened the door of his car, looking back at my house to make sure my dad hadn't woken up.
I unlocked my phone and 1:04 was written in white digits on my screen. I buckled my seat belt and turned my gaze to meet his.
His features were slightly lit up by the street lights, and he licked his lips, turning his gaze from me to the road in front of him.
Days have passed since Max made me promise I wouldn't talk to Nick again, but it was impossible to say no to him.
He had his ways.
He sped up as I stared outside my window, wondering where we could be going. I loved that about him, everything was mysterious and exciting. Nothing was organized and everything was random. He texted me at 12:57 on a tuesday night, saying he wanted to take me somewhere. How could I refuse such an offer from a cute boy?

"Summer camp again?" I asked, glancing around us.

"No, it's another place I like,"

I smiled to myself and my gaze landed on the road in front of us, as silence filled the atmosphere around us. I never really like when no word is spoken when with someone I don't know very well, but somehow this silence is reassuring, peaceful almost.
I thought about Scar, and it stressed me out. I didn't know how or even what to tell her. I see her almost every day and every time she talks about Nick, I totally black out and don't speak at all. I don't know if I'm in the wrong, because I mean, she doesn't even know him. She had like half a one night stand with him and she already acts as if they're married and expecting their 3rd child. It's not like I was attached to Nick anyway, I could therefore remove myself from this situation at any time.
I know what kind of person he is. As bad as it sounds, I just like hooking up with him for the moment.

I looked at the road in front of us and loved how we were the only people awake, silently driving on the highway.
It felt great, as if we were in our own little world, with no one around to tell us what is right and what isn't.
He pulled over next to what seems to be a library and I slightly turned my head to the side, wondering if a guy like him could possibly read.
"You like reading?" I asked, and he probably noticed that I seemed amused because he chuckled, looking down.
"Yeah I do, but I'm not here to show you bookshelves,"

He led me to the back of the building, and he grabbed a string to which was attached a folded metal ladder and brough it down so it could reach the ground.
"Ladies first," he smirked, stepping away from the ladder.
I looked up, attempting to see where it could lead, but it was too high. I assumed it was the roof, and late rooftop talks have always been something I've wanted to do. I grabbed a step with both my hands and started climbing non-hesitantly, without a care in the world.

"Careful when you get to the top, there's a gap between the edge of the roof and the ladder. We're not supposed to go there either,"

I glanced down at him, gliggling at how reckless and illegal he was.

I finally got to the top and scanned everything around me, making sure my feet were stable on the roof and that I was in a safe position to start walking.
Everything was lit up, the whole city seemed fully alive, even though it was sleeping peacefully. Wind softly blew the hair out of my face, and my stare was locked on the scenary in front of me. Although we weren't that high above ground, the parking lot underneath our feet seemed to have the depth of the abyss, and I felt a wave of anxiety travel my entire body as I leaned over the edge, looking at the ground.