9회

I shut the door silently behind me as I got home. My shoes smoothly slid off my feet without a sound and I shoved them into the closet.

Praying not to run into any family members, I kept my backpack on as I tiptoed up the stairs and crept into my room.

Once I was in, I ran to my bed and zipped open the bag, shuffling through folders.

When my hand landed on my Korean folder, I took it out and opened it up to find my Korean project.

I carried it over to my bed where I layed down on my stomach, my left arm propped up under my chin and my right clutching the paper.

I scowled at the sight of it.

The the lazily slashed "75%" on the front in red ink was teasing me, concealing my neatly decorated poster with its garish presence. All my effort in creating it was destroyed.

I crumpled up the piece of paper and threw it in the trash, completely fed up by its sight.

Once the paper was settled in the trash can, my stomach let out a growl.

A strong hunger that I hadn't before acknowledged had settled in my stomach and was begging for food.

"Okay, okay." I said, getting up to go grab something to eat.

I passed my dad who was making his way up the stairs while I descended them.

"Hi, honey." He greeted me.

"Hi." I replied shortly.

Once I was downstairs, I grabbed a bowl and filled it with Lucky Charms.

I took out my phone as I sat down at the table, scrolling through my missed texts in the group chat between me, Mona, and Ari.

Mona: oh my goD MR. SIMON TOTALLY JUST HEARD ME TELL SOMEONE THAT HE I THINK HES HOT

I almost choked on my cereal, the picture of my yoga teacher pooling in my head.

Ari: wtf

Ari: you think mr simon is hot?? he's like 30

Mona: yes ofc his biceps are a1

Ari: why am I friends with you

Mona: you love me

Ari: but you love mr simon :,,

Mona: sTop

I laughed, putting my empty cereal bowl in the sink.

I climbed back up the stairs two at a time and rounded the halls back to my room while simultaneously texting back the group chat.

"Mm mm." Someone cleared their throat in front of me.

By then I was in the frame of the door to my room. I looked up to find my dad, standing near my desk with a frightening glare on his face.

"What?" I asked, slipping my phone into my back pocket.

"Erica," He asked "What is this?" he unfolded a previously closed hand, revealing a crumpled piece of paper.

Oh no.

It was my project.

"Dad, I-"

"Erica. Have you already forgotten our discussion at dinner? Do you just not care? Is that the issue?"

"I-"

"You can't not care. This is your future."

"Dad, I'm really trying." I interrupted.

"My ass, you're trying!" He yelled, vigorously waving around my project. "This is getting you nowhere in life! Do you want to be a prostitute and sleep around for money? Is that what you're good at? I hear the industry is great these days."

My mouth shut. I broke eye contact, unable to fathom what I just heard come from my own father's voice. My throat tightened and I could feel my eyes start to sting with tears.

"Erica, I-" He began again, his voice laced with regret.

Before I could get his apology, I turned around and ran out of the room as fast as I could, not being able to stand the thought of having him see me cry.

He called my name behind me as I fled the house, but I was already out the door by the time he made it down the stairs.

I got in the car and pressed on the pedal, no destination on my mind.

-

I pulled over at the side of a street a few miles away when I felt like I could finally be alone.

I turned off the car. The lights dimmed around me.

"Do you want to be a prostitute and sleep around for money? Is that what you're good at? I hear the industry is great these days."

I blinked, a tear falling down my face. How could he think so little of me? My own father?

I rested my head against the steering wheel.

Does everyone think of me like that? Am I a joke to everyone?

I let out a sniffle, my nose starting to get stuffy.

I looked around me, hoping to find some kind of napkin or tissue.

Buzz, buzz. I felt a vibration coming from my back pocket.

Forgetting the lost cause of a search for tissues, I withdrew my phone and turned it on.

One new message, the screen read.

Unknown Number: hey Eric, looks like we're studying together tonight.

Unknown Number: meet me at my house at 7:15. don't be late or else.

I looked down at the clock. 7:06.

I still had time.

I shoved my keys back in the ignition and started the car, taking off.