11회

"Get it?" Jaebum asked, looking up at me.

I nodded, trying to cover my yawn.

Three hours had passed and I was still studying with Jaebum.

"You aren't paying attention, are you?"

I shook my head. "I am, I'm just so.."

My eyes started to flutter. At this point it was a struggle just to keep them open.

Jaebum waved his hand over my face. "Eric."

I sat back up, forcing myself awake.

"I think it's time for you to go home. It's getting late."

I pouted, my head resting back on the table. Jaebum was right, I wasn't paying attention to the lesson. I had stopped a long time ago. The only thing keeping me from the door was the fact that I didn't know where to go once I was out of it. The last thing that I wanted was to go home. I couldn't go there. I couldn't face my dad. Not tonight.

"I can drive you home if you want-"

"No!" I interjected. Not home. Not yet. "Can I just... " I trailed off, embarrassed of what I was about to propose.

Jaebum met my eyes. He looked around the room then tilted his head at me. "Can you just what?"

"Nevermind." I cut off the thought, reminding myself that Ari's house was nearby and always available to crash in.

Jaebum raised his eyebrows at this, but put them back down after a second. "Okay, well I guess I'll see you tomorrow then."

I backed up my chair from the table and got up, grabbing my things. "Thanks for the lesson."

"My pleasure." Jaebum smirked. "And thank you for the free frappuccino that I'm gonna swoop tomorrow." He rubbed his stomach as he said this.

I scoffed.

He walked me to the door and opened it up. "My offer still stands if you need a ride. You know, Eric, they say that drowsy driving is almost as bad as drunk driving."

I waved away the comment with my hand. "Dont worry, if I get tired in the car I'll just remember the sound of your voice and be immediately too annoyed to be drowsy."

We both laughed at this.

"Bye, Eric." He said.

"Bye, Jaebum." I replied, stepping out of the door.

He closed it behind me.

When I got in the car, I turned on the engine and called Ari.

As always, she picked up on the first ring. "What's up, girl?" Her cheery tone made me momentarily forget about my stress.

"Hey, Ari! Can I crash at your place tonight? I'm nearby and I don't really want to face my parents tonight."

"Aw Erica," She replied. "You can totally sleep over. If you need pajamas I have tons. By the way, I was just about to make some avocado toast, do you want me to put in a piece for you?"

"Duh," I smiled. She knew me so well. "See you soon." I said, hanging up the phone.

-

Ari lived freakishly close to Jaebum. As I started driving between the two houses, I realized that I could have easily walked if I hadn't taken my car to Jaebum's. I shook my head. Such a waste of gas.

When I showed up to the door, Ari looked surprised to see me. "Erica? You got here so fast. Your house is basically on the other side of town. You really need to cut that bad habit of speeding at night." She joked.

I slapped her arm playfully. Ari knew that I drove so safe it gave the cops a run for their money.

"But really though, where were you?" Ari's brows met in the middle, her forehead creasing.

"I was-" I trailed off. Mona and Ari already had their knives held up to Jaebum's throat after the day he ditched me to make out with his ex. No matter how much explaining I did, their opinions are like a stain that you can never get off. Once they decide that someone is bad news, nothing can make them budge.

If I told her that I was at Jaebum's house I would be getting an earful for the entire night.

"I was driving." I lied. "I couldn't think of anything to do."

Ari folded her arms. "You should have come here."

I pointed at the doormat that I was still standing on. "I am here, now let me in already! It's getting cold out here." I wrapped my arms around each other and pretended to shiver.

"Fair enough." Ari complied, opening the door completely and making way for me to enter.

Once inside, Ari led me to her kitchen. "Toast is up!" She squealed, excitedly. I watched her clap her hands together as she skipped to the toaster and set the popped toast onto two plates.

She delicately decorated each piece of toast with a pre-sliced avocado then topped them off with salt and pepper. "My secret recipe," she winked at me.

"There is nothing secret about salt and pepper." I laughed.

"Touché," She said, sliding one of the plates in front of me.

We picked up our toast, clinked them together as if they were drinks, then ate the night away.