Chapter 1

most of this story may be in Peeta's point of view, it may have the odd point of view from Katniss but not much. it'll mainly be about how Peeta befriends Katniss.

☄☄☄☄☄☄☄☄☄☄

Peeta's POV

I walk into school, walking straight over to my group of friends. It's our last week in school before summer break but we still have two weeks of work experience before were free for the summer.

Everyone in my year seems to be discussing where they're going for work experience. Me? I haven't told anyone where I'm going. I'm not planning on until last minute either.

"Where are you going for work experience, Peet?" Finnick asks as I walk over to my group of friends.

They consist of Finnick Odair, Annie Cresta, Gale Hawthorne, Clove Fuhrman, Cato Ludwig, Marvel Quaid, Glimmer Rambin, Madge Undersee and Delly Cartwright.

"Not saying. I haven't told anyone where I'm going and I plan on keeping it that way." I reply. "Where are you guys going?"

"I'm going to a seaside jewellery shop where they make their own jewellery out of jems and shells and stuff." Annie grins excitedly. She's always been fascinated by the seaside.

"Me, Marvel, Gale and Clove are going to a school to help out with the PE department," Cato says.

"Glimmer and I are going to a fashion and beauty shop." Delly says.

"I'm going to a farm to help out with the animals," Madge says shyly. She's the animal lover of our group.

"Oh cool. What about you, Finnick?" I ask.

"I'm going to my uncles fish place to help him and learn how to make fishing nets and catch them." He replies.

"Come on Peet, what's yours like?" Gale asks.

"Well, all I can say is that it's nothing like any of yours." I chuckle.

They go to say something when the bell goes, signalling it's time for form.

•••

I walk home, eager to finish my painting I started a couple of days ago. Considering my family run a bakery, they are really proud of my painting skills. Mainly because I use my artistic skills to decorate the cakes that go in the window and the celebration cakes people order.

I do bake, I normally just bake Cheese Buns and Cinnamon Rolls, as they are my best and are very popular here.

People think we're rich, owning the only bakery in the Village. But really, we're just like any other family. We're not poor but we're not rich either.

In my family, I am the middle child of five. The oldest is James Mellark, who is twenty-one. He has brunette hair and our fathers bright blue eyes. He only works part time on the counter as he doesn't live here anymore and has another part time job as a gym instructor.

Next is Rye Mellark, his actual name is Ryan but we all just call him Rye. He is eighteen. He has ashy blonde hair from our father and the sea green eyes from our mother. He still lives here but is looking for a flat to move in to. He works full time here at the bakery, helping my dad make the bread, rolls and baguettes or part time on the counter when James doesn't work.