Chapter 4

Peeta's POV

May lets me finish at three o'clock. I bid Katniss goodbye and say I'll see her tomorrow, I only get a small nod back.

I decide to head home and grab my sketching things and my sketchbook and head over to the Everdeen's house. I first make another batch of cheese buns and cinnamon rolls then leave.

I knock on their door, a woman answers. I don't recognise her so I just assume she's a maid.

"Come in," she says.

I give a smile and step in. She shuts the door behind me and leads me to the family room where they are all sitting.

"Peeta!" Frank says, happy to see me.

I smile, "hello."

He notices my shoulder bag, "what's in there?"

"Oh, I thought I'd come over to show you more of my sketches."

Mrs Everdeen gets up and leaves, the girls following her. It just leaves me and Frank.

He looks back to me, "that's wonderful!" He says, moving over on their couch and ushering for me to sit beside him. "Sit, sit."

I take my bag off, siting down and sitting it on my lap before bringing out my sketchbook I'm using now, followed by three others I've filled. I hand them over to him.

He chooses the one with a small number 1 marked on the front.

"How's work experience going?" He asks as he admires every sketch.

"It's good," I nod.

"Where did you go?"

"Oh, I'm at the mental home. I decided I wanted to know what it was like to deal with all different people compared to us. It's actually really interesting."

He looks up at me with a smile. "That's really good, there needs to be more people like you in this world."

I smile back. "I-uh, met your daughter."

He looks up quickly again, looking at me intently with his grey orbs, just like Katniss'.

"What?" He asks.

"Katniss, she's your daughter?"

He nods slowly. "She's in a mental home?" He asks.

I nod. "She's been in there since she was eight. Her mother brought her in apparently."

"Her mother?" He asks.

I nod. "She got in a bad car crash when she was six, her mother brought her in when she was eight saying she couldn't cope with her anymore."

"That was when I was away working. I got told they got in a car crash, but she had died."

I shake my head. "She's alive and is in the mental home."

"What's wrong with her?" Frank asks, now continuing to look through the sketches.

"She has a brain problem where she just doesn't act like a normal person, as well as been diagnosed with depression and early stages of ptsd, and is on medication for her bipolar."

He looks up, a shocked look in his face.
"My baby girl?"

I nod.

He sighs. "She's the only one that's actually mine, I mean has my genetics. The other three were from a sperm donator as I can't have any more children and Anna wanted more. We chose sperm donators so that it would look like I'm their father. But in reality, she's the only one with my genetics."

I look at him. "Really?"

He nods. "It's odd really, many people wouldn't expect it but yes."

"And you thought she was dead?"

He nods. "I just assumed when Anna told me she was saying the truth."

"Ahh, well she hardly talks to anyone. Unless it's her friend Johanna but she rarely talks too."

"What was she acting like?" He looks at me.

"She just sat on her bed the entire time I was there. She sat one end while I sat the other and occasionally wondered around her room. I talked now and then and all she'd do is nod or shrug. She didn't look happy at all."

He shakes his head, looking back to the book, he closes it and hands it to me, I hand him the second one. "She was always happy and smiling at everyone. She would talk to everyone."

"She's apparently better than before though, which is good."

He nods. "If she's better off there then that's where I'll leave her until she's allowed out."

I smile. "You just want the best for her, don't you?"

"Yes. She's my little baby."

•••

"Do you think I done the right thing, telling him about Katniss?" I ask my father.

My father looks to me, nods slightly. "If you hadn't have told him he'd still think his only proper daughter isdead."

I nod, kneading some dough. "I did tell him not to visit yet though as it may be too much of a shock to her."

"That's good, she's getting better and the worst thing she needs it being knocked back,"

☄☄☄☄☄☄☄☄☄☄

796 words

oops it's not 1000+ words but i wanted the next day to start in the next chapter.

please can you not nag me to update as i'm really busy with school and revision at the moment. i will update when i can so don't nag me

please comment more guys, i love reading them☺️

wish we could turn back time, to the good old days🎶