Chap 1

It was Saturday morning, a day when barbers were chosen and dropped for the slightest error. This was life a super barber shop the employed 25 barbers, and all of them on the floor seeking to build their clientele . I was the new guy. Fresh meat is what they called me the first two weeks, some barbers even grabbed and smacked my ass making comments like they had to break me in. It was hazing that sometimes frustrated me, some of these guys did prison stints and I didn't know if it was just a test or to see if I had a little pineapple in me.

"Mike let me speak to you for a second." This was the manager and owner big John who never really spoke. Excuse  me for a second."  I told my client knowing now he would look into the Mirror  and realize I had him looking like Richard Gere in an office and a gentleman.

Me and big John walk to the waiting area where all the customers played video games or fiddled with their phones until their turn came. " what's up big John?" He never really small for express any emotion John is a no nonsense X gangster who left the streets alone when he returned from a 10 year stretch. No one played with John. His huge hands clasp together before he spoke.

" Listen , you been cutting hair for 40 minutes. If you fucked up, and can't  fix it, let him know, tell him the cut is free and move on to the next guy.  We all fuck up sometimes, man up, and tell him maybe he'll come back and give you another play. when you stall more  people pay attention to you, and realize you're slow and you can't cut, so they'll never get in your chair." His voice was serious but calm, he was commanding without yelling, and his angry  green eyes remind you of the hawk.

"Alright." Was all I could say as we turned  to go back on the floor where the lights were the brightest.

My client now had his  glasses staring in the mirror, fat ass Jules was talking to him, pointing to his fade explaining how he could fix my error,  an effort to steal a client I hadn't secured.

"Thank you for being so patient." I put on my best professional voice. "Man you went up to high." His face them the color of a strawberry milkshake. In my peripheral vision I could see Jules  and a few others laughing.  at that moment I wish I was a turtle so that I could stick my head inside my body until everyone left.

"I apologize the cut is free, and if you would like for me to do anything else and fix it I'm willing."  I was desperate hoping that you didn't get out of my chair and sit in someone else's chair.  that's the ultimate sign of the novice barbe, a barber who didn't deserve to get paid for his work,  and I've been cutting here for 16 months I'm license.

"Naw that's OK buddy you did enough  I'm gonna to go to the guy over there, and if you really want to help,  you can pay him to fix your work." He points Jules as he said this, now the whole shop watched.  again I thought about the turtle and tighten up my shell because you have to have thick skin.  so I reached in my pocket and pulled out The only $20 bill Made this morning and gave it to him.

" thanks for the opportunity,  and I apologize for my mistake." I brushed the hair  from his face, remove my cape from his neck, and shook his hand. as he walked a few chairs down I could hear another barber,  who should been a damn comedian making the sound of an ambulance siren which let the whole shop know someone was getting rescued from a bad barber.

I sat in my chair my head is sunk in between my shoulders as I unsuccessfully tried to hide in a shell  I didn't have.  after the incident Jules, and his cronies blared the siren whenever a customer got in my chair. The regulars knew what that meant, so for the rest of the day I cut kids who cried and refused to stay still. I had to get Jules for playing me like a sucks, everyday.