Chapter Four - Pride

~Chapter Four - Pride~

"So, you and Fordman, huh?" a voice asked forty-five minutes later.

I looked up from where I had been scribbling biology notes down about comsumers, decomposers and producers, to look into the beautiful muddy-brown eyes of Logan Hawkins. He had his seat turned towards me, and was tapping his biro on the table absent-mindedly. His gaze pierced into mine, and I felt a blush seeping into my cheeks. His blonde hair stuck up in spiky angles around his head, making him look like he didn't know what a hairbrush was, but I loved the tousled look on him.

"Yep," I replied, popping the 'p' and trying to ignore my feelings towards the handsome boy before me.

"Why? Last I heard you two were enemies, or something."

"I guess there's a fine line between love and hate, Logan," I replied, using the line one of Noah's friends had used earlier. I didn't know why, but I wanted to cause as much pain for Logan as he had caused me when he chose Daisy over me.

"Yeah, but why him? I mean, I know you probably wanted a rebound boy, but—"

"'Rebound boy?'" I asked, chuckling and shaking my head. He was really beginning to piss me off now. "Oh, please. I've been with Noah since before you ended things with me."

Something changed in his facial expression, and it went from being snide and cocky to shocked and confused. I know that the whole point of Noah and I was to make Logan jealous and want to come back to me, but when he was being such a rude, obnoxious jerk, there wasn't really anything else to do.

"Don't act so surprised, Logan," I said snidely, glad I was gaining the upper hand and inflicting pain on him. It felt good. "You had Daisy, I had Noah."

At the sound of her name, Daisy's head snapped up, and her blonde hair fell around her head messily. "Did I hear my name being called?"

"Don't worry, Daisy," Logan replied, barely sparing her a glance. His eyes continued to glare into mine. "Everything's okay."

She glanced between us, confused, before bowing her head and continuing on with her work.

I tried to do the same, not wanting to continue this awful conversation, but just then the bell rang, and I sighed in relief. I stood up and started hurriedly gathering my things. I was just about to leave when I was interrupted.

"I don't believe you, you know," Logan told me, tapping his pen once again on the desk as he shouldered his red backpack and continued to stare at me, his gaze piercing my soul. "That you were with Noah before I broke it off."

"Maybe you weren't the only one who got bored," I replied, dropping him a sly wink before I grabbed my satchel and briskly walked out of there, feeling my heart palpitate loudly in my chest.

Already Noah was waiting for me outside, leaning against the plaster wall as if it were the only thing holding him up. I grabbed his hand and whispered, "Come on, Noah."

He let me drag him along down the corridor, before I disappeared from Logan's view with a smug smile on my face.

~       *       ~

"I think we should go on a date," I proposed to Noah at lunchtime, stabbing a piece of chicken in my salad and shoving it into my mouth.

Noah raised an eyebrow, smirking a little. "Wow, very forward, aren't you?"

I glanced around the cafeteria, and spotted Chaska and Ciara waiting in the cafeteria line for food. We probably still had another three minutes before they came back.