Chapter Nine - Confrontation

~Chapter Nine - Confrontation~

The next morning, I wandered through the gates of Prescott High, flagged by my two best friends. Last night I had gotten a puzzling text from Noah saying unfortunately he couldn't pick me up, and that he was sorry.

So I had been forced to carpool with Ciara and Chaska, who were demanding answers to questions that I didn't have.

I sighed and looked around for Noah. But he was nowhere to be found. It wasn't like he was sick or anything. When Ciara had picked me up, his car had been missing in the driveway.

I stole a glance at the clock in the corridor, and sighed as I realized it was already eight-thirty. The bell would ring any second now and then I would lose my chance to talk to Noah before I was forced to take a class with Logan first period.

Obviously luck wasn't on my side, because just then the bell went, signaling the beginning of morning classes. I bid adieu to Chaska and Ciara before walking to my locker and dialling my combination, before pulling out my books.

I sighed and began to make my way down the hall as it began to clear of students who weren't actually running late to class, unlike someone else I knew...

I was just about to turn the corner and into the branching corridor that would take me to class when two voices stopped me cold. They were two familiar voices that made me pause.

"Dude, I'm asking you nicely, OK? Back off," a voice said. It was cold and determined.

"Why? So you can swoop in and save the day? You already broke her heart once. Just leave her alone, Logan." The voice was Noah's.

"I see the way she looks at you. She doesn't love you. Not like she loves me."

There was a moment of silence, and I briefly wondered what Noah's reaction was. When he spoke, the hostility in his voice was enough to make my heart plummet.

"You leave her alone, or I swear to God the next time you eat, it'll be through a feeding tube."

"Is that a threat, Fordman?" The voice was taunting, with a mocking, venomous lilt to it.

"No, just a warning. You better heed it or you'll have hell to pay."

"I told you once, but I'll tell you again, Noah. You leave her alone. You walk away, and you never turn back. You rip her heart to shreds if you have to. But she belongs to me."

"She deserves better than you," Noah growled, and I clenched my fists. How dare Logan think I belonged to him! I wasn't a piece of luggage; I was a human being.

"What? And you think you're so much better? You're not exactly an angel yourself. Break up with her, or the next time I see you, you'll need a one-way trip to the ER."

I gasped and quickly ducked into an alcove separating the lockers from the sunshine-yellow plaster walls of the school. Logan stalked past, fists clenched, and I held my breath, sure he'd catch me. But he continued walking without a sideways glance, too caught up in his anger to notice me.

When I was sure Noah wasn't going to come around the corner and spot me eavesdropping on their conversation, I ducked out of the opening and all but ran towards my classroom.

When I got in there, Logan's seat was noticeably empty, and Daisy was staring at it, puzzled at his absence. I frowned and sat down, sighing and rubbing my temple from the strange argument. I couldn't believe it was over me.

Time seemed to tick by slowly as the teacher droned on about the lecture, and I almost jumped sky-high when someone tapped me on the shoulder. I turned around to see a girl sitting there, with chestnut hair pulled in a ponytail, and almond eyes. She was pretty, in an innocent-looking way, and she offered me the smallest of smiles.