Chapter Six - Aftermath

~Chapter Six - Aftermath~

I don’t know what I had expected would happen when I kissed Noah. Maybe I thought he would push me away and do something immature like say, “Oh, my god, you gave me cooties!”

But that’s not what he did. Instead he reacted almost immediately and did something that had not really been on the agenda.

He kissed me back.

I was kissing—and I don’t mean a simple peck, I mean actually kissing—my old best friend, and then tormentor, and then sworn enemy, and then fake-boyfriend. In front of my whole school.

Well, I doubt people will be second-guessing our relationship now, I thought.

I don’t know what had possessed me to kiss him. Maybe the weight of Logan’s gaze. But the truth was, I had just taken things to a whole new level.

I had complicated what was going on between Noah and I.

I had made a huge mistake.

I was just about to pull away and apologize for my actions when a voice interrupted us. “Hey, Fordman, get your hands off of her.”

We both pulled back immediately, and I turned to see Logan staring at us with nostrils flared and fists clenched. I had never seen him this angry in my life.

“Mind your own business, Hawkins,” Noah replied caustically, keeping his arms around my waist possessively.

“She is my business,” Logan told him.

“Not anymore she’s not. Why don’t you run along and go back to your new girlfriend? She probably needs someone to help her read the scoreboard, anyway,” Noah said pleasantly, insinuating that Daisy was stupid.

And he was right.

Logan looked ready to kill Noah.

“Guys, knock it off,” I intervened, stepping in between them. “It’s not worth it.”

“What are you doing with him, Marley?” Logan asked, his attention turning to me. “Were you really that desperate?”

“I’m pretty sure that’s exactly what she was thinking when she got with you. ‘Wow, am I really that desperate?’” Noah countered, an arrogant smirk slipping onto his face.

Logan stepped forward, and I put a restraining arm on both of their chests. This could get very ugly very quickly. “Guys,” I cried, trying to get their attention. “Snap out of it. You,” I said, narrowing my eyes at Logan. “You should know better. And you,” I said, turning to Noah. “Walk away. He’s not worth it.”

Noah nodded, looking pleased I took his side, and slipping his hand into mine. “You’re right. Come on, babe. Let’s go.”

“This isn’t over, Fordman!” Logan yelled after us.

Noah flipped him off in return, but didn’t turn around. Instead he continued walking until we reached his truck.

He opened the door for me and then got in himself in the other side. I snapped my seatbelt and stared out the window.

After a few minutes of silence, Noah asked, “Did you just kiss me, Marley?”

So, he didn’t wanna talk about Logan and the almost-fight that went down between them. He wanted to talk about a petty kiss?

OK, so maybe it wasn’t petty. The kiss actually ruled. It was the superhero of kisses. It still gave me tingles thinking about it.

Except that this was Noah, my enemy. It was a fake kiss, just like everything else. I told Noah as much.