Chapter Twenty - Goodbye

~Chapter Twenty - Goodbye~

“Logan, there’s something I have to tell you,” I told him that afternoon as I walked up to him after school, meeting him in front of the building, where other teenagers milled about, on their way home.

After Noah and I had made it from the rooftop, I knew I couldn’t continue things on with Logan. Not when I loved Noah. I had told Noah that I would find him after I was finished with Logan. We were going to meet in his treehouse when I was done breaking up with him here.

So I had texted Logan asking him to meet me outside the school when the final bell rang.

And now here we were.

I knew it wasn’t fair to continue on in this relationship. Both Noah and Logan loved me—I knew that—but I couldn’t keep leading both of them on like this. It hadn’t been fair to flick from Noah to Logan over and over again. I needed to make a decision, and I needed to be with the boy I loved.

Logan gave me a breathtaking smile that once might have made my heart plummet faster than a kamikaze plane. “What is it?”

I looked around the campus as teenagers dispersed, and steeled myself for my next words. “I can’t do this anymore, Logan.”

He froze, his brown eyes burning intensely. “I…”

“Look, it’s not you, it’s me,” I said, using the clichéd line that they seemed to use in all those cheesy chick-flicks. I hadn’t meant to sound cliché, but it seemed like the only appropriate words I could use. “It just wasn’t working out.”

“Why? What did Fordman say?” he growled, stepping forward. My fists clenched as I took a step back. Logan sometimes had a fiery temper, and I hated to be on the receiving end. I had rarely been before, only in the occasional fight, and let me tell you, this side of Logan was not a good one.

“Noah didn’t say anything,” I replied, feeling anger boil inside me at Logan. How could he talk about Noah like that? Noah had never done anything besides open up and tell me the truth about everything. He had never wanted to hurt me, only to save me from being hurt.

“He said something. Whatever he said, he lied to you!” Logan yelled.

“Logan, please,” I whispered, noticing we were starting to draw attention to ourselves. I cast a nervous glance around. “You need to calm down.”

“Calm down?” he seethed, his jaw clenching. “No, I won’t calm down! Noah brainwashed you. What did he say?” He stepped forward, leering over me. “What did he do?”

“Nothing!” I cried again, my voice rising shakily. “This was my decision.”

“You can’t break up with me!” he told me, his whole face alight with rage. “You belong to me!”

Back when I loved him, that sentence would’ve meant everything to me. That he thought I belonged to him. That he thought I was his. I would’ve loved to hear those words, and I would have believed it and wanted it more than anything. I had strived for his attention more than enough times to know how much those words would’ve excited me. But now it angered me.

“I don’t belong to you!” I retorted. “I’m not a possession! I can’t be owned. We’re done, Logan.”

I turned to walk away, not wanting to continue this argument, when his hand wrapped around my wrist and savagely pulled me back, making my shoulder scream in protest. “We’re not done here,” he growled harshly.