Part 4

Wrinkling her nose in distaste, Tril managed to pry her eyes open, the memories of her dream falling away as reality occupied the space instead. She waited patiently for her head to stop spinning and her eyes to adjust to the semi-dark in the room. By the time both did, she realized that there were other sounds in the room. Sitting up slowly, she ran a hand through her hair. "Alright, she's awake. We don't have to be quiet now." Tril's eyes slowly traveled to the source of the voice, a girl with dark skin and a head full of thick dreadlocks held back by a pale blue bandana. The girl walked forward, hand resting on the bedpost while the other sat comfortably on her hip. "Morning sleeping beauty. Don't want to be late for classes now, do you?" She grinned widely.

Tril's sleepiness fell away in a rush when a pair of arms pulled her off her bed, her legs scrambled to touch the ground. As quickly as the arms were underneath her armpits, they were gone. Behind her towered an unbelievably muscular girl with the sides of her head shaved while the remaining hair was pulled back into a blonde ponytail reaching mid-thigh and startlingly green eyes. Tril stepped away from the monstrous girl and angled herself to face both of them, a weight of discomfort sitting in her stomach. The three of them stood there in a tense silence, sizing each other up. "Guys, back off. You're freaking her out." A third voice interrupted the atmosphere of the room, causing them to all look in the direction from where it came. Tril stood straighter when the third girl shuffled into the room, one hand holding a handful of magenta dyed hair while the other covered her mouth as she yawned.

From the corner of her eye, she saw the monstrous girl break out into a wide grin, while the other girl cracked a smirk. "Well, well, well, looks like Her Highness is done primping." She remarked, earning a small glare from the purple haired girl. From a bedside table on the right side of the bed closest to Tril's, she grabbed a pair of red cat eye glasses, pushing them up to the bridge of her nose. She stepped closer, eyes brown and bright with a smile touching her lips. "Sorry about them, they're not as bad as they look." She spoke, moving to stand between the girls, one hand coming up to playfully pat at the muscular girl's upper arm. "Mookie here's a big sweetie, despite her size, and Chara likes getting a reaction out of people." She said, pointing at the darker skinned girl.

"And you are?" Tril asked, still wary. "Marina Cardenas. A pleasure to make your acquaintance, Miss..." She trailed off. "Tril." She answered, sticking her hand out and being met with a very firm handshake that made her fingers ache. "Pretty name for a pretty girl." Marina remarked, her smile so wide you could see her dimples.

Suddenly, Marina turned away, striding over to the trunk at the front of her bed, kneeling down, and flinging the clasps open. Tril stared in near disgust at the alarmingly large amount of purple-themed clothing on one side, while the other held various miscellaneous trinkets that were also purple. Plunging her hand in, Marina furrowed her brows in concentration and pulled out a moment later a deep purple (obviously) sweatshirt with a tattoo-like design of a deer on the front done in white. She held her hair in one hand as she put it on and pulled the rest of her hair out of the sweatshirt, frowning as her glasses slid off the bridge of her nose.

"You know where the dining hall is, right?" Chara asked, a less menacing smile on her face. Tril slowly shook her head. "If you'd like, you can sit with us today. We don't bite." Chara offered, a hint of teasing in her voice. A memory flashed quickly through Tril's mind. She was seven and was holding her tray, standing awkwardly as other children her age were already sitting down and eating. She paced mindlessly up and down the rows, looking diligently for a seat. She remembered the throbbing of her scalp from the braids that had been pulled so tightly. The heat they had used to flatten her uncontrollable bedhead. She blinked away the memory before the rest of it call came flooding back. She looked up at them and nodded. "I'd like that."