Part 5

Tril joined in the applause the class gave after another partnership had finished sparring. She grew anxious each time her name was not called. She knew from her old training days that it was never good to be last. It was either a sign that you were a very good fighter or a bad one. Without her consent, her mind allowed a memory to resurface from where she had buried them. She shut her eyes tight as memories tried to sneak out of the part of her mind that she always kept locked away.

There were flashes of things she wished hadn't resurfaced. Lips curled upwards with laughter, showing teeth that bared grins and allowed laughter to seep through them. The flash of silver that cut through the air. Dozens of blue eyes, all roughly the same shade yet all slightly darker or lighter.

Then there was a room. A room with wooden floors and mirrors on two opposing walls. The farthest wall had a tall window with slightly blue tinted glass that filtered in sad lighting. She remembered watching rain drip down that window, recognized the crack in the top corner of it. Figures twirling in black outfits as the tips of their toes wrote out their destinies with the blood that littered the floor.

She forced her eyes open before anything else could come out. She then realised with embarrassment that everyone in the class was looking at her. She felt her face go hot as her senses returned to her. A kind hand was on her back and the other held hers tightly. Tril could feel that her whole body felt clammy and anxious. She looked into the face of the person comforting her.

He was handsome. Brown skinned with high cheekbones and full lips. The sides of his head were shaved but black curly hair sat on top. Dark eyebrows hung low over his intent brown eyes. The longer she stared at him, the more she noticed. If you looked hard enough, you could see a small smattering of freckles on his neck and the bridge of his nose. There was a scar on his upper lip that made one side lift up ever so slightly.

"What happened?" Tril asked quietly, suddenly realizing that her throat felt dry and made her voice sound raspy. The man shrugged and pulled his hands away from her. "You suddenly started shaking and you looked like you were ready to cry." He said, voice higher than Tril had been expecting. They both turned their heads as Coach Carme approached them. "Miss Jurgen, you can go and see the nurse if you are not feeling well. If not, then it is your turn to spar." The words hung heavy in the air as everyone waited for her answer. Tril ran a hand through her hair and sighed, standing up and walking toward the circle drawn on the floor. "I'll be fine." She said.

When she turned back around, she saw the man also walking into the circle. They quickly went through stretches and then approached each other in the middle. They shook hands and Tril leaned in closer, talking loud enough for only him to hear. "Thank you for your help back there. I'm Tril, by the way, and I don't usually have mini-breakdowns." She said with a smile. He let out a chuckle and winked at her. "I'm Ambrose. Glad I was of some help." And with that, they laughed one last time and stepped back from each other as Coach Carme blew a whistle, signaling the start.

Ambrose ran forward, fists tight and daunting. With each punch, Tril stepped back and avoided him with ease. Each time he thought he had the upperhand, she danced out of harm's way. As the minutes ticked by, they both became more loose and fluid with their movements. There was no real tension or malice between them, so neither of them made much of an attempt to hurt the other and a smile would appear on both their faces.

All background noises were muted for Tril. She only focused on her own movements as well as Ambrose's. Her eyes wandered away to look at the other people sitting on the bleachers. She caught the eye of the brown skinned white haired girl, the one she recognized from her earlier class. They made eye contact and held it for roughly fifteen seconds before Ambrose's fist made contact with Tril's nose.