Part 4.5

Author's Note: I'm so sorry this took so long to update. It's been, what, 3 months? I hope this'll please you guys! Also, I cannot write action sequences...

"Damn, Redd!  What's with the face?" Bill asked as he slowed down to walk with her through the hallway that lead to the outer courtyard. She couldn't bring herself to speak yet, she was still deep in shock. After the third attempt, in which she opened her mouth to speak and then closed it, Bill raised an eyebrow, shrugging his bag higher onto his shoulder. "Oookay...This is weird, but I've seen worse from you." He turned his attention away, but continued talking lively and animatedly with his hands. "You ready to start Physical Defense today? I know I am! Because guess who's in our class this year." He smirked, looking at her with wide, twinkling eyes that could mislead anyone.

She sighed, "Who, dare I ask, is in our class this year? I hope it's not who I'm thinking of." She glared off into the distance at the memories of her previous years of required Physical Defense, the feeling of her face being pressed into the rough concrete. "Okay, well that's unfortunate for you, then, 'cause it's exactly who you think it is." She smacked her face hard and dug her fingers into her temples as they continued walking. "Goddamn, I hate him." She groaned so loud that people sitting on the grass nearby looked up and stared at them as they passed by. They ducked their heads low and talked in a softer tone.

They suddenly stopped talking as they got closer to a separate building on the school grounds. Rather than looking like Fornax' traditional stone-built main building where most of the classes and dorms were held, it bore the look of a modern warehouse with very muted colors and only one multiple-door entrance. As they got closer, they spotted a bored looking Chaunty leaning against the entrance and biting the cuticle of her thumb that was already littered with scabs.

"Yo, Chaunty!" Bill called when they were a few feet away from her. She looked up and took her thumb out from between her teeth, giving them a small wave and the subtlest of eyebrow raises. Bill wrapped his arms around her and began rubbing his cheek against hers, cooing to her like a doting mother would to a child. "Ahh, I missed you so much, darling! It's been so long since I've seen your vibrant, lovely, youthful face." He sighed dramatically, stroking her hair as Redd tried to hold back her laughter.

"Ha ha, very funny. I bet you say that to all the boys you wanna bang." Chaunty remarked as she took out her cell phone and swiped the screen quickly without pause, having chosen to ignore Bill instead of indulging him and his antics. Rather than be upset by her ignoring him, he smirked as he pinched her cheek between his fingers. "You know I'm the best liar here, boo."

All of them looked up when they heard footsteps padding closer. A grin spread across Redd's face when she saw a familiar set of black eyes get closer to them. "Ni'mah, how was your trip abroad?" Redd asked happily.

Ni'mah wore her niqab as usual along with a flowy white blouse with billowy sleeves and a navy blue round skirt. "It was very nice, thank you." She said kindly as the corners of her eyes crinkled, a sign that she was smiling under the niqab. She turned her attention to Chaunty and Bill, "It is so good to see you all again. How have you been?" She asked. Chaunty allowed herself to smile a little bit, "Good, thank you." She said.

They kept chatting as they walked into the building. The inside of it looked worse for wear than the outside, with flickering overhead lights that gave off an apocalyptic, eerie green glow and peeling white paint on the walls. "Do you think coach is gonna make us do hand-to-hand combat today? The other day it was the environment endurability test." Bill said as they walked down a long hallway, shrugging his duffel bag again. "I'm just scared for the underwater unit. Do you know how hard it is to try and spear someone underwater for two minutes with a harpoon?" Redd added in, holding her white hair back as she normally did when her hands felt fidgety.