Chapter Five | New Threats

Despite sitting side by side at the dining table, Caleb and May could not have been further apart. Miranda idly scrolled through work emails, not really paying attention just trying to avoid dealing with the duo opposite her as she hoped they would work it out themselves. May had taken her breakfast to the table, and Caleb who had ended up spending the night in the Chad's old room simply followed her over and sat down. Since the duo were 'fine', neither were willing to move or make a scene by demanding the other person sit somewhere else. May had never eaten so fast.

"Well I'm going to Tiffany's." May declared, making her way to the kitchen before even finishing her last mouthful.

"No you're not." Miranda called after her.

"Why?"

"We're on lockdown." Caleb answered before Miranda could.

"Yet you're here." May glared, coming back into the dining room. "Mum, it's Tiffany. Human as human can be. What could possibly happen?"

"We don't know who they are, or where they are. We could be being watched right now and going somewhere alone is just, stupid." He argued.

"That's exactly what you did last night!"

"Dad was with me, so not alone and Tiffany is human. Think she'll be able to help if anything happened? Do you want to put her in danger?"

May hadn't actually considered that; who knew what these people were capable of. "Well, no. But if they have a whole pack of shifters to keep occupied with, why bother with me and her?"

"Like it or not May, you are pack and they could use that-"

"Oh am I? Now I am pack?" She challenged, moving closer to him as her hands clenched into fists.

"Enough!" Both teens jumped as Miranda stood up, clearly forgetting they had an audience. "May, he's right. We don't know anything about these people, other than they clearly have it in for shifters. Ask Tiffany to come here, but I'm sorry, you're not going anywhere."

Calebs smirk had May seeing red. "But Mum-"

"No." Her word was final.

"Fine." With that she stormed off to her room.

"She's probably going to try and get out." Caleb pointed out to Miranda, knowing how many times all the kids used to sneak off together. Though having shifters as parents made that pretty hard to do since they knew everything that went on anyway and the only times they got away with it was when they were allowed to.

"I know. That's why Chad and Braydon are keeping a close eye on her." Miranda sighed, and glanced upstairs as Mays bedroom door was slammed shut. "Do I need to warn you about doing anything to hurt her again?"

Caleb looked at her, clearly surprised and Miranda shook her head slightly. "Do you think we're blind? Just, be careful. I love all of you, but that's my little girl."

His eyes dropped to his feet as he felt about two inches tall. The warning was clear and for the most part, Caleb thought that everything that had gone had been kept between the two of them; mostly because Braydon hadn't attacked and Miranda treated him how she always had. Clearly that really was naive of him to think and the little boy in Caleb hated the way she looked at him now.

"Andy, I was-"

"Not my business Caleb. It is what it is, now I have to go into the office because someone in finance is an incompetent idiot and Rory will be picking me up shortly. Chad is coming too, because of everything - so did you want to be dropped home or are you happy to stay here?" She smiled, the seriousness of the moment before gone.