Chapter Eight | Leftovers

"You're not coming in." May looked at her father in a mixture of pure horror and embarrassment.

"Why not? I think it's only fair I introduce myself!" He argued.

"Stop torturing her!" Miranda interrupted, looking back at May from the drivers seat. "Go, have fun. Send me a message when you're ready to be picked up."

May barely mumbled goodbye before she was out of the car and anxiously walking up the path to the driveway. She could faintly hear her dad laughing as the car started to reverse and turning around, she gave a little wave before stopping in front of the door. Raising her hand to knock, it swung open and a panicked looking Josh filled the doorway.

"Hey." May smiled up at him, while he looked around nervously. "Whats up?"

"Your, ah parents dropped you off?"

"Yeah?" She asked confused. "I don't drive yet."

"Good. Come in." He took her arm and pulled her inside which made the nerves May had been feeling since he asked her around triple instantly.

Glancing around the foyer, May now understood why he had commented on her house being a home. Everything here was white, stark and plain. There wasn't a lot of furniture either as they moved through the house, just the basics needed to get by. No photographs or art gave the walls life, no carpet or rugs of any kind to add some colour or warmth and with that thought, May shivered. The house didn't fit Josh at all. He was so bright, and nice and welcoming. This place made her want to turn the other way, which only increased as they neared the kitchen and the sterile smell of lemon cleaning products flooded her nose.

"Mum, this is May. May, this is-" Josh half mumbled as they entered the open kitchen space.

"Tanya Burton. It's lovely to meet you!" The woman grinned a toothy smile, and May forced herself not to step back as a well manicured hand was offered. "Joshua has told me so much about you."

She shook it hesitantly, the woman's grip only tightening as May went to pull her hand away. Sharp, pointy nails scratched against May's palm and Josh had been right. This woman wasn't anything like her Mum. Miranda had the ability to make friends with anyone; her aura calm and gentle. Nothing about this woman said gentle and the air around her was tense, like a warning to stay away. Her blonde hair was cut above her shoulders in a blunt bob, and the tailored grey pants and white blouse seemed to fit just that little bit too tight - not at all comfortable.

"Oh, has he?" May forced a smile and glanced at Josh who only glared at his mother. What was with boys and being angry lately, May thought.

"Now, don't hold it against me, but I've been busy all day so got a few things ordered in for dinner. Are you hungry now?" She asked, already moving around to the where a few boxes sat by the much too clean sink.

"Yeah, let's get this over and done with." Josh snapped, taking May's hand he led her through to another room where a dark oak dining table had already been set. It looked out of place with all the white, and May wasn't sure what to say as she took the seat Josh offered to her. "Let's eat, and then we'll go somewhere else."

"Um, okay?"

"Here we are!" Tanya exclaimed a little too loudly as she put down a plate in front of May, and then did the same for Josh. The rich spicy aroma of the curry had May's stomach growling and as a large bowl of rice and naan bread was put on the table, she realised she was starving.

"This smells delicious! I can't remember the last time I had this." May inspected her dinner hungrily, and out of the corner of her eye saw Josh staring at her. "What?"