Chapter Twenty One | 'Mayness'

The following morning had everyone back around the TV in the games room. May focused on Chad and her dad, trying hard to work out what was different between the pair. Every time she breathed in her nose would wrinkle slightly, her eyes would close and she tried so hard to work out what Eli could sense that she couldn't. From what Josh had said, there were clearly others like them that were part of this organisation and May wanted to make sure she could tell who they were if she came across them.

"May is safe, from what we've found in conversations between this guy and his dad, they believe she is unaware. In fact, Tom is rather concerned about leaving May alone with her family now she knows the truth." Taylor told them, flicking her mane of red hair over her shoulder.

Right on cue, Braydon and Chad both growled; a savage sound that came from deep within.

"So it has all been a lie?" May asked, giving up on the scent thing for the time being. It didn't help her mother appeared with a coffee that seemed to take over every smell in the room.

"I'm sorry May. If it helps, in his own way I think he does like you." She answered before covering her mouth to yawn.

"Aunty Taylor, what about Caleb?" Nate asked, his figure hovering in the background. "Did they mention him?"

"I don't think-"

"Let's not talk about-" Jay said from somewhere off screen.

"What about him?" Instantly May was on the floor in front of the TV. She knew them all well enough to know when they were avoiding, lying or deflecting. "What did they say?"

Taylor disappeared and Bianca moved to take her place. Overnight, the bruises had yellowed and the swelling had disappeared. She was healing quickly, yet her large brown eyes were watery and bloodshot as she faced the camera. May's stomach sunk, and whatever she had to say wasn't going to be good.

"Nothing more than he is still alive." She spoke flatly, and as Nate called her out on lying, May wasn't sure she wanted to hear the truth.

"We deserve to know." Nate demanded.

"Nate, later." Taylor urged.

"Why? Why can't you tell us now!" He sounded tired, and May felt guilty for having been able to sleep.

"Enough Nate!" Bianca growled.

"It's okay, I can handle it." May assured her, yet the second her mother's hand held hers, May knew she was the one lying now. "Honestly. Tell us Bianca, please."

Bianca looked off camera, a murmur of voices barely audible coming next before Connor sat beside Bianca and Cody was seen half off the camera as he held his mate's hand. Looking away, Bianca stared down at her lap and Connor clearly his throat. Taylor stood behind him behind Nate who looked as though he was about to lose control completely.

"We learnt why Caleb was taken." He started slowly and May felt her heart beating hard and fast against her chest. "And it seems that Thomas marked him as a threat to his mission. With May."

"Me?" It barely came out as a squeak. "He was taken because of me?"

"No, he was taken because of Thomas." Chad growled.

"They were impressed with you last night, and his mother said removing Caleb from your circle of influence had worked in their favour. He told them you two had been fighting, so it occurred at the right time since May is kept in the dark about what we are, you weren't told the truth about what happened to impact your feelings on well, everything." Connor explained.

"How long until they work out she is lying?" Miranda asked, terrified at what that could mean for May.

"I guess that depends on how long May can keep faking it."