Chapter Seventeen | Gone?

"I need this Chad, please let me stay with Tiffany." May begged after class the following day. She'd realised at lunch she had never actually arranged being able to hang out with her friends after school, so all the plans she had were currently on hold depending on this conversation.

"You want to do that now? There was another attack yesterday May!"

"I know, but-"

"No buts. It's not happening!" He told her firmly as Tiffany came back in.

"Please?"

"Yeah, please!" Tiffany added.

"No!" Chad glared at May, not hiding how annoyed he was. It had been a long, stressful few days and he just wanted it to end. "You should know better May."

"Come with us!" Tiffany offered, sensing a losing battle.

"Definitely not."

"Tiff, can you give us a sec?" May watched as her friend reluctantly left and keeping her voice low, she turned back to Chad. "This is part of being normal and besides, if you know who is involved, we know I'm safe. Mum and Dad think so!"

"What happened to breaking up and giving a Caleb another go? You entering dangerous territory if you think you can be with both of them." Chad growled. "This isn't like you May."

"It's not like that." Though May realised that's exactly how it looked. "If Josh is involved, he could be our way into the Hunters. After what happened yesterday, well, I don't doubt he isn't so innocent anymore."

"What do you mean?"

"The delivery guys. I've seen them before."

"You just decided to leave that part out?" Chad rolled his eyes, before slapping his hand against his forehead. "Gods May. Spill it."

"They were at the party and knew Josh. He said he had met them at a work thing with his Dad, and well, if he's involved his parents probably are too, right? And I really think that's the case as when his Dad came to see him yesterday after-"

"Josh's Dad?"

"Yeah. He was the guy on the bike."

"How do you know that?" The way he said made May think he didn't actually want to know.

"I went and checked it out when I saw Josh sneaking around at lunch. Well, not sneaking, just not doing what he said he was doing and whatever. His Dad's scent was left behind as well as Josh's. Chad, I really think I can help. Keep your friends close and enemies closer right?"

"While I understand that May, no. I can't let you put yourself at risk like this! Your parents would kill me!" He groaned.

"It's just hanging out together after school. I told you, just tell them I had detention or something."

"I'm not lying to them either. Your plan sounds like a good idea, but it's not. We know nothing about these people, or what they know about us. To try and play Josh could be-"

"At least let me work out if he is definitely involved. And if he is, well, I'll back right off and do what you think is best. If he isn't then I will just feel like a bitch and you can use this whole thing in every argument we ever have to prove your point about always being right." She shrugged. "I'm not a kid anymore Chad. I want to help, and I know I'm onto something. Please let me do this."

"I can't May. I'm sorry." His word was final and as he finished packing up his things, May knew she was going to regret what she was about to do.

"Fine. Let me go tell Tiffany the bad news and I'll meet you back at the office."