Chapter 48: 1, 2, 3

As Krystal gazed at the audience watching their Tencent mini-concert, Krystal wondered how to describe her feelings toward their fans. Pity, remorse, regret...? Perhaps it was an odd choice of words to describe an energetic crowd of people who had come to cheer on their performance, but the words that played in Krystal's heart now were a far cry from cheerful.

Today's concert was headlined by f(x), but the hoobae groups also participating today were performing the same number of songs as f(x). The song voting system set up by Tencent to allow fans to pick songs for f(x) to perform had also been rejected by SM at the last minute and f(x) was only allowed to perform their usual lineup of recent title tracks. Krystal felt like fans might be disappointed by the mini-concert now, much like the way she was currently disappointed that f(x) couldn't show off more of their songs today.

How was it possible that f(x) still had such loyal and dedicated fans over 6 years into their debut when f(x) had not been able to give them a fandom name or a proper solo concert? Unfair didn't even begin to describe the situation. Their fans deserved so much more than what they currently had and it broke Krystal's heart to see other Kpop fans labelling their fandom as victims.

As Krystal stood on the edge of the stage waiting for their cue, as she lost her self in thought over their fans, the young girl felt someone come up and place their chin on her shoulder. She knew without looking that Amber had come up behind her. Krystal smiled every so slightly, grateful for that light touch from her girlfriend. It was an innocent gesture to onlookers who witnessed that moment, but it was a far more intimate action between the couple than anyone watching could have ever known.

Without turning her head, Krystal gently reached up and brought her hand to her shoulder to touch Amber's fingertips, gratefully receiving Amber's support. There was a melancholic air between the two lovers in that instant as they both accepted their fate, as they understood that their futures were about to change.

A few days ago, before the Tencent mini-concert, SM had finally responded to f(x)'s concert demands with a demand of their own. In return for allowing f(x) to hold a solo concert after their next comeback, SM asked that Krystal allow herself to be used as a scapegoat in the future should SM ever have a need to use her. The maknae had been outraged when she learned about SM's counter-offer. It was not the first time that the company had asked her or other SM artists to be used as scapegoats, as a means of covering up company-related scandals, but never before had SM used this request as a bargaining tool.

"Don't do it," Amber firmly advised her without hesitation after hearing about the company's counter-offer through Krystal. "If we don't get a solo concert for this comeback either, then whatever. It's nothing new. Our fans will understand."

"Will they?" Krystal asked dubiously. After the initial shock had worn off, Krystal had seriously considered taking SM's offer if it meant giving f(x) and their fandom everything that they had dreamed of since their debut. "How many more times can our fans be disappointed before they give up on us completely? We can't keep them waiting forever."

Amber shook her head with a frown. "WE aren't making them wait. We would give them an amazing solo concert right now if we had the chance. SM is the one making them wait and there's nothing we can do about it."

"There is something we can do about it," Krystal corrected her girlfriend gently, stepping closer to Amber and taking the older girl's hands into her own. "I can do something about it."

"Do you realize what saying yes to their offer would mean?" Amber asked Krystal with utmost seriousness. Her face was a mask of concern. "You're basically giving SM the power to ruin your image for the sake of protecting their own. They could create whatever scandal about you that they want to create, and you wouldn't be able to do anything or say anything to prove your innocence. No one would be able to protect you in that kind of situation, Soojung-ah, not even me..."